Few Questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-17-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

View elks's Photo Album My Photos
Few Questions

OK guys,

I am a new Industrial Arts Teacher and have a pretty nice wood shop. In it I have 2 lathes. I have never used a lathe before, but was curious as to the capabilities of my machines. They are both larger machines. I was hoping to have students turn table legs, pens, hunting calls and bowls. Here are the specs on my 2 lathes:

The newer one is a Powermatic 220V model #3520B

The older one is a delta in a blue grey color, I could not find a model number only a serial number. It is just slightly smaller than the powermatic. It runs on 110 and have a V belt drive with the motor in in a box below.

Any input on these machines would be great.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-17-2010, 01:29 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Rob I'm no expert but if the lathe is 220v it should be powerful enough for sure. As for the brands Powermatic and Jet are both good brands.

I have a question for you. You a new Industrial Arts teacher that has never used a lathe. How are you supposed to teach the students? Any lathe is dangerous enough if you don't know how to use it but a lathe with a 220V motor is going to have some serious power and increase the accident potential if not properly used.

Just my opinion, but after 25+ years of experience and having just lost a finger in a table saw accident, I have a unique view of things from what I use to.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

View elks's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
Rob I'm no expert but if the lathe is 220v it should be powerful enough for sure. As for the brands Powermatic and Jet are both good brands.

I have a question for you. You a new Industrial Arts teacher that has never used a lathe. How are you supposed to teach the students? Any lathe is dangerous enough if you don't know how to use it but a lathe with a 220V motor is going to have some serious power and increase the accident potential if not properly used.

Just my opinion, but after 25+ years of experience and having just lost a finger in a table saw accident, I have a unique view of things from what I use to.
That is kind of the point for me to ask. I am teaching a variety of topics. My expertise lies in Metals, Automotive and Construction trades. All of which I have ample knowledge and skills in. I just do not have much practice in fine wood working, and furniture making skills. This is common in the industrial trades, people have areas of strength and areas that need improvement. The good news is that the lathe projects will be the end of the year. I have been teaching for over 10 years and in my knew position I am now being asked to teach fine wood working. Table Saws, planners, drill, bandsaws etc. are all very familar to me, just never been around a lathe enough. Also if I can not do, my students will not do it. By the time the kids need to use it I will be very comfortible with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-17-2010, 03:30 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
120v, 220, or 480v. doesn't matter. What matters is the horsepower. But that's a small thing. What really matters when it comes to lathe use is tool usage and safety. There are several safety issues. One is how the wood is mounted on the lathe. Between centers is pretty straight forward. Mounting to a faceplate can be a little dangerous if they don't use enough screws that are the proper hardness and go deep enough into solid wood.
Speed is the second issue. Keep the speeds down until you learn how to use the tools properly.
Tool presentation. Most people who have no instruction use the tools incorrectly and therefore potentially dangerous. I would strongly suggest getting some instruction from another turner. You should be able to find a club near you. Go here and see if you can find one.
http://www.woodturner.org/community/
Last but not least. Wear a face shield. Wood that has defects or has been mounted on the lathe incorrectly or a bad catch from a poor tool presentation will cause the wood to fly off at extremely high speeds. This is why all the above is necessary.
don't let us scare you away. Turning is just about the most enjoyable thing I've ever done and kids love it. Start off with safe simple projects like pens and progress from there.
The American Association of Woodturners will offer a lot of help to instructors. I gave you just part of thier website above. Check it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode