favorite thing you've ever turned - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 12-10-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
favorite thing you've ever turned

For some of you this will be difficult. As a beginner I can look at 14 bowls and say yeah that's my fave but for some of you we are talking about hundreds even thousands of pieces. But I would love to see what people consider their absolute favorite work. It doesnt have to be for purely aesthetic reasons. It can be because it just made you happiest or it was for someone you care about or just plain prettiest! Anything goes here but Id love to hear about why it is your favorite. One of my favorite things about wood is that it tells a story. Whether it's the story of the wood, the story of the person when it sculpted that wood, or both. Show us your favorite stuff and tell us your favorite stories, happy turnin all,
Bond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-10-2011, 11:05 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Don't want to sound like a cop out but my favorite thing I turned is whatever I just finished turning. I really value my shop time as it allows me to truly be "in the moment", and this is even more true when I'm at the lathe.

I also am my own worst critic and strive to improve my technique with every piece I turn, whether that be a simple pen, a bottle stopper or a bowl. Most times these days I actually succeed at that ;-)
and am very pleased with the results.

So I hope you continue to enjoy your time turning as much as I do mine and find that your favorite piece is the one you just finished. :-)

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
The Following User Says Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
mackem (12-11-2011)
post #3 of 15 Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 PM

View Theobroma's Photo Album My Photos
Years ago, my family decided that we were going to exchange homemade craft gifts. Most of the people in my family have some sort of craft they do from needlepoint to knitting, etc. That year, I found a piece of 8/4 purpleheart about 4" wide and 36" long sitting in the bargain bin at my local wood monger. I cut up bowl blanks and turned small fluted bowls. When finished, they were a deep burgundy color. I glued felt to the bottom, tied a maroon satin bow around the flute and filled each with mullberry potpurri as my gift for my mom and her three sisters.

I probably remember those with the fondest memories because I knew whom I was making them and it gave me a great amount of satisfaction to make them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Theobroma For This Useful Post:
mackem (12-11-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-11-2011, 01:25 AM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
Wow what a question and a hard one to answer. I will have to go way back in years when i was 14yrs old in JR High school. while all the other kids was making checker broads out of ash and mahogany, I was gluing the same woods but in to a 6x6x20 for my first turning which was a lamp. My lamp won first place in the school art show. then my shop teacher submitted it to a local JR Collage's art show. I was a little embarrassed standing next to this little lamp while 22yr old collage guys are standing next to their roll top desk and full sized bed. well the roll top desk won first place, a kitchen table won second, and my little lamp won 3rd. So at that time i was sucked up in the vortex and there was no turning back. now 50yrs old and several thousands of dollars later my hobby as been a big part of my life and always will.

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff4woodturning For This Useful Post:
mackem (12-11-2011)
post #5 of 15 Old 12-11-2011, 01:41 AM
sawdust manufacturer

View txpaulie's Photo Album My Photos
I am certainly not one of the "thousands" crowd...
Only received a lathe as a gift last Christmas...

My first inlayed, spalted bowl holds a place of high regard in the home of someone whom I highly respect...
The value of the piece is inconsequential.
If the owner likes it, that's more than good enough for me!

It is nothing compared to most of the work that I see here, and elsewhere, but is among my best efforts to date.

In the future, I may look back and think that I've come a long way, and I hope that is the case, but some pieces just speak to me...

p

...ever notice how "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" mean the same thing, unless you are at a funeral..?
The Following User Says Thank You to txpaulie For This Useful Post:
mackem (12-11-2011)
post #6 of 15 Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I guess my favorite thing was my very first turning. I never had the need for a lathe, and after many years, got a client that wanted a restoration of an old Singer sewing machine cabinet...one that the machine folded under a top, and it had a bank of tiny drawers.

One of the drawer knobs was missing. It was an ity bity knob that I couldn't find anywhere. Realized that I may have to make one. So, I got a deal on a floor model lathe...a cheapo import 14"x40". Only came with a spur bit. I then picked up a cheapo import lathe tool assortment at a flea market. I was all set.

Actually it was easier than I thought. The knob was very small but had some detail to it. When I got it done and finished, I swapped the arrangement of the knobs, and asked the client to pick out the new one. She picked the wrong one.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
mackem (12-11-2011)
post #7 of 15 Old 12-12-2011, 10:40 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I started turning a little less that a year ago, coming out of a pretty dark time for me mentally. Turning is fantastic therapy. I had a honey locust trunk with really deep rusty red rays in the heartwood that gave me the feeling of heat or a bright light trying to get to the surface. It sorta reminded me of my healing process. Sorry for sounding corny but its what makes this piece special to me and I figure some of you might relate. It's not my favorite hollow form aesthetically, but I felt like I achieved my goal of showing those streaks of color (after several failed attempts) and I was happy with it technically as well. I hope the color holds up with time.
Attached Images

post #8 of 15 Old 12-12-2011, 03:27 PM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
Any time I've challenged myself on a project beyond what I've ever done before it usually becomes my favorite. I like to try new techniques, processes, or projects that keep me learning so that I'm not doing anything routine. So as of right now, the tibetan prayer wheel I did for my sister is probably my favorite.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Hal

View Harold Haines's Photo Album My Photos
My favorite will be the next one.....it seems that the next piece is better than the last.....
post #10 of 15 Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 PM

View Bill Wyko's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a couple I can think of right now.

post #11 of 15 Old 12-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
I haven't turned much, but my favorite would have to be the spindles I made for my grandbabies cradles. They weren't complex, or anything, but they were special because of what they were for.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a list of my favorites.

Bowls
Boxes
Candleholders
Coin banks
Closed & open spirals
Dibbles
Flowers
Inside out turnings, ornaments & flowers
Jewelry stands
Lamps
Mallets
Match/toothpick holders
Mirrors
Offset candle holders, tool handles
Ornaments, angels, ball, bell, birdhouses
Pen wood/acrylic
Salt & peppershakers
Spheres
Tops
Weed vases
Vases
Whistles
post #13 of 15 Old 12-18-2011, 07:56 PM

View Bill Wyko's Photo Album My Photos
Wildwood I see you don't know the rules here. No pictures, didn't happen
post #14 of 15 Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 AM

Bill am not the only one that has not posted pictures in this thread. Have been turning for more than eighteen years and no do not photograph everything I make. You have seen some of my pictures in various postings. Do you really want me rob this thread with my lousy photographs?

My picture taking skills pretty much point aim & pray. Bought a decent camera, (Canon A630) and tri-pod about four years ago. Problem is me and not the camera. Yes have read and re-read manual more than once.

My list just examples of what can done, hope some folks add their favorites too!
post #15 of 15 Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 PM

Nice sites to surf for information and inspiration.

If want to challenge yourself have a look at what these people have done.
http://www.themintmuseums.org/mason/masonsite/artistindex.html

http://www.delmano.com/exhibitions/past/index.htm

http://www.centerforartinwood.org/

These men and women did not make much money from woodturning in their early years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode