Favorite Finish? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 04-07-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Favorite Finish?

I saw a video the other day that made me try something new. I have been using only friction polish on my small turnings (pens, bottle stoppers, etc). After seeing a woman use lacquer followed by friction polish on a turned table leg, I decided to give it a whirl.

After final sanding, I applied the lacquer with the lathe stopped. I let that sit for a minute, then applied another "coat" of lacquer. Then I turned the lathe on just to smooth it a bit. I let it stand for just a couple minutes and it was dry to the touch, so I went ahead with the friction polish. That piece looked a bit shinier than the finishes that I had been getting. Time will tell which one will be more durable.

I've read a lot about finishing pens, and I'm really confused about all of it. There are so many different things that people do to finish small turning projects, and they usually comment that methods other than theirs are inferior.

What do you guys use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 PM

View jfs477's Photo Album My Photos
wipe on poly or clear shellac for me. i use bush oil to bring out the wood grain first though.

john
post #3 of 4 Old 04-07-2009, 11:02 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
Haven't tried this yet but I think I will on my next set of pens. Looks fairly foolproof and I think it will last a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 PM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
dano, I used to only use Huts friction polish. I found that a pen that saw a lot of use dulled very quickly. I had given the wife one of the first pens that I turned, this is the one that dulled. I have started using lacquer and it holds up much better.

John, thanks for sharing the video, I will have to give that a try and see how it works. I guess the wife will get another test piece.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode