Face shields and respirators - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

View Adillo303's Photo Album My Photos
Face shields and respirators

Do you have them?
Do you use them?

Just started turning. Pens are OK. Started bottle stoppers, lots more flying wood shavings.

Thank You

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Yes I have a face shield and wouldn't dream of turning without it on. I don't have a respirator, but I do have a quality dust mask and use extra dust extraction while sanding on the lathe. They are simple things, so why not wear them.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #3 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 08:13 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I wear safety glasses when turning pens and stoppers, or anything that doesn't have the potential for sending large pieces flying at me. Bowls or larger turnings and I use a face shield. Just recently purchased the Trend face shield/respirator combo and love it.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 09:55 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
I use the Trend Airshield and safety glasses (prescription) when I'm turning.

When I'm applying CA finish, I change the Airshield for a 3M respirator and add a simple vizor face shield (the $15 variety) just in case anything decides to splash or launch itself. The 3M does a better job of filtering chemicals than the Trend.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #5 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 10:37 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I keep the dust collector on when sanding or turning woods that throw dust. I wear a face shield when roughing bowls but not when turning other things.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 10:37 PM

View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a newbie with regards to turning and I started out with safety glasses alone. I picked up a full face shield and I'm sporting that bad boy every time now. I haven't had any fly aways or blow outs where things have been flying but I know I'd rather get in the habit now before I find out what it's like.

Ut Prosim
post #7 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
For respirators I use 3M respirator mask which filter down to 0.3 microns (the same as the expensive units). The 95% effective 3Mís are about $2.50 and the 100% are about $7.50. I use the P100 and they are rated to last 160 hours. Since I typically only use them when sanding one mask will last me 6 months or so.

I have Dewalt safety glasses (with the + rating), a face shield with the standard rating, and a face shield with a V50 rating.The larger or more dangerous the workpiece the higher I raise my level of protection.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

View Adillo303's Photo Album My Photos
It really only took me about 30 seconds to understand the value in them. I have / use safety glasses and a battery powered respirator that I got at Rockler. I will be getting a face shield, hopefully one that will accommodate the respirator. Thank you all for the tip about the shield respirator unit. I will look into that.

Turning kind of takes a hold of you, doesn't it?

Thank You

Andy
post #9 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
It really only took me about 30 seconds to understand the value in them. I have / use safety glasses and a battery powered respirator that I got at Rockler. I will be getting a face shield, hopefully one that will accommodate the respirator. Thank you all for the tip about the shield respirator unit. I will look into that.

Turning kind of takes a hold of you, doesn't it?

Yeah, a turn for the worse.

Harrison, at your service!
post #10 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 AM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
I have a decent faceshield from homedepot, and the advantage I like about it is that it covers from the top of my head down to below my neck so I get a lot fewer shavings down the front of my collar on my shirt. I used to just wear some safety glasses I have for my other woodworking, but the faceshield fogs up less and is more convenient, except when I want to blow away some sawdust from the project.

I just have a small shop vac for dust collection now until I can afford a decent dust collector.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I got the Trend Airshield Pro as a gift from the wife. It's awesome for about 30 minutes then starts to feel pretty heavy as the batt sits on top of your head. I wear it while sanding and love it for that use. Its like having your head in a bubble. Otherwise I wear safety glasses for small solid pieces and face shield for bigger stuff.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Moo-tivation

View VaureyWWC's Photo Album My Photos
With pens, I use safety glasses. Some of the more open woods like black walnut I'll use a dusk mask.

When I turn hunting calls and anything bigger I use a full face shield.

Got hit in the mouth when I first started by a 3" piece from a bowl. That taught me!

Thanks,
Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode