Extra Long Tool Rest for 48" Jet Lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

View Eric7873's Photo Album My Photos
Extra Long Tool Rest for 48" Jet Lathe

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a place to purchase an extra long tool rest from. I currently have a 48" Jet lathe with a 16" swing and a bed extension that I use to make martial arts wooden dummies on. To see what I'm talking about you can visit my website at http://shaolinhouse.com No plug intended with the web address, just looking for a way to show/explain what it is that I make. Basically they are five foot long poles with a nine inch diameter and they have arms and a leg once completed. The problem that I'm having is that I can't turn the entire piece without having to constantly move my tool rest up and down the body. It would be a lot easier and quicker if I could make each pass down the entire length of the body. I've been desperately looking for a company that sells either a tool rest or some sort of rail that can run the length of my lathe. I would even have one custom made if I had a set of drawings to go off of. Does anyone know where I might locate such an item or a set of DIY plans? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
seen 'em somewhere

like this using 2 toolrest holders and a long bar in between:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=long+...:429,r:5,s:122

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 10:32 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
When I had to do some long spindles I simply made a wooden secondary banjo or support for the longer tool rest. Then I used a piece of Oak as my tool rest. Worked like a charm. The ideal way is to buy another banjo and then have a custom tool rest made out of steel. Angle iron works well for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 11:47 PM

View ronjboucher's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric7873 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a place to purchase an extra long tool rest from. I currently have a 48" Jet lathe with a 16" swing and a bed extension that I use to make martial arts wooden dummies on. To see what I'm talking about you can visit my website at http://shaolinhouse.com No plug intended with the web address, just looking for a way to show/explain what it is that I make. Basically they are five foot long poles with a nine inch diameter and they have arms and a leg once completed. The problem that I'm having is that I can't turn the entire piece without having to constantly move my tool rest up and down the body. It would be a lot easier and quicker if I could make each pass down the entire length of the body. I've been desperately looking for a company that sells either a tool rest or some sort of rail that can run the length of my lathe. I would even have one custom made if I had a set of drawings to go off of. Does anyone know where I might locate such an item or a set of DIY plans? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sept. issue of American Woodworker magazine shows you how to make a 36 inch steady rest, pretty straight forward.

For me, Jet lathe, you will need 2 ea banjo fittings, 2 ea 5/8 bolts, (lenght to be determine), nuts and washers for 5/8 bolts. 1 inch square tubing(36 inches long), 1/2 inch steel rod (36 inches long).

Step 1. Square tubing, drill 2 ea holes at both ends to accommodate the 5/8 bolts nuts and washers. To be fitted in the banjo fitting diameter 5/8in. (.625)

Step 2. drill app. 6 holes (evenly divided) lenght of 1/2 rod (use pilot holes 1/8 dia), then locate rod inboard edge of square tubing. Need to transfer 1/8 holes to 1in. square tubing.

Step 3. Square tubing, will need to drill 6 holes #21 drill size. Now tap all 6 holes, final thread size 8/32. install c/s screws, make flush, fill + with epoxy.

Step 4. Determine the height of the steady rest, to the top of the banjo fitting, add min. of 3 inches that will go inside the banjo fitting. Cut the bolts to lenght. Ron Marietta Ga.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
As above..........

Steel angle with little more than a few tackwelds here.Understanding where the force is being applied to toolrest,locate welds accordingly.And depending on style of the whole shebang.....full-on custom rests(replaceable,machined rest-tops)are but a mighty few,snip/snip here...chop/chop there...away.Even if it means sourcing various brands off the 'Bay just for parts.BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 PM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
Are you sure you could get the lock screw tight enough so the rest wouldnt turn into the wood when your using it near the end?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
You could talk to Brent English at Robust lathes. he could probably make you one. Also vic at www.bestwoodtools.com could probably build one.
It's pretty easy to just get some good angle iron and have some posts welded to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode