An Epic Collaboration... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-05-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
An Epic Collaboration...

Well our very own @epicfail48 stopped by my shop today to relieve me of some live edge Black Walnut. It was a wonderful visit as I always enjoy talking with this talented your man.

Out of his generosity, he brought me a couple of gifts: a small chunk of gorgeous desert ironwood and a piece of his denim micarta. We were both curious to see how the micarta would turn so I decided to play with it this evening after dinner. It didn't turn like the acrylics that I'm used to in my limited experience. It seemed more brittle in some ways as it easily (I think anyways) broke apart piece while using my skew. However, keep in mind my skew abilities are "in training"...LOL. After getting it turned, I really was unsure how to finish it. After all, its not acrylic, and it's not wood. Besides, my CA skills suck worse than my skew skills...

I decided to sand with Abranet thru 400, them MM through 12000. I then applied some Renaissance Wax (I'm loving this stuff) and buffed it out with a cotton rag. I was very happy with the result and after holding it against my myriad of available slimline kits, decided to go with the gun metal kit. Now that its assembled, this is one of my favorite pens I've put together. The grain of the denim is really cool. I think I just found my new carry pen...
Attached Images

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-05-2016, 11:42 PM

View michaelpugh's Photo Album My Photos
I like the looks of it a lot. I've never heard of that material.

wish I had a cool line like everyone else...
post #3 of 6 Old 03-06-2016, 02:13 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Holy crap youre fast! Also, holy crap that turned out awesome! That looks absolutely fantastic, I figured the mycarta would look pretty interesting but that blows my expectations out of the water by a pretty good margin. Im surprised you managed to get it that smooth without any film finish, usually i have to go with a coat of CA glue as a finish, although you took it way higher up the grits than i usually do. At any rate though, ill have to bring over some more of that at some point, just to see what you can do with the different color combinations. Now i kinda regret not saving some of the rainbow mycarta i made recently...

For anybody curious on the material, i did a write-up on how to make it not too long ago:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/m...icarta-125826/

And if anybodys interested in making some from said material but isnt interested in actually making it, feel free to drop me a line, im more than happy to make up a batch. Its fun stuff to make!

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-06-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

Chris, I'm glad you like it. I was very happy myself. I will try a CA finish on my next one.

Mark

post #5 of 6 Old 03-06-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

Round 2

I tried another one today. This time I sanded with Abranet to 400, then went to thin CA. I only did 4 coats of thin CA as I was having a lot of trouble getting the CA to cure. Not sure why. I wondered if th resin had something to do with it as I've never had this issues before. The first 2 coats air dried. The last 2 I used same brand accelerator. After the 4 coats of thin CA, I sanded again to 400 with Abranet. Once done with that, I went to my Beall Buffing System. It uses EEE, then White Diamond, followed by Carnuba Wax. Since these blanks were shiny, I went with the Chrome Slimline kit. I'm pretty happy with it, though I prefer the first.

Its hard to tell due to my poor camera skills, but the dull shined pen shows much more grain pattern of the denim. I'm curious how the micarta would look if it was cut on a 30 or 45 degree angle.
Attached Images

Mark

post #6 of 6 Old 03-06-2016, 05:14 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
Looks great Burb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode