Ellsworth jig vs. Vari-grind - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
Ellsworth jig vs. Vari-grind

Just wondering if anyone can compare the two. I know the Ellsworth jig is to be used with the Wolverine system. Looks like they would do the same thing.
I use the Vari-grind setup recommended by Doug Thompson for gouges. Is the Ellsworth grind significantly different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 05:11 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Instructions for Wolverine system and Vari grind jig came with instructions for putting on fingernail and Ellsworth grind on a gouge so never seen a need for Ellsworth jig.

Pretty sure can do same thing with an Ellsworth jig. Not sure what instructions come with it.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 06:59 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
The only downside of the Ellsworth jig is sharpening smaller tools. It was designed to sharpen his 5/8" bowl gouge and it excels at that. If you want to sharpen a 3/8" spindle gouge it isn't so good. At least the one I have. He might have changed it. It needs a V in the bottom to align smaller tools without that it's easy to get a gouge sharpened unevenly on the left and right side since the tool can be shifted in the jig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood
Instructions for Wolverine system and Vari grind jig came with instructions for putting on fingernail and Ellsworth grind on a gouge so never seen a need for Ellsworth jig.
So is the Thompson Vari-Grind setup a "fingernail" grind?http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/sharpening.asp
I just latched on to it early on and really never learned the difference between that and the Ellsworth grind. Any explanation of the difference and pros/cons would be appreciated.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 10:27 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
The difference is subtle. The Ellsworth gouge has a different shaped flute. This shape plus his sharpening jig gives an particular shape to the wings of the gouge. The general shape is the same. The difference is in the thickness and the sharpeness angle of the wings. The Ellsworth will be slightly thicker on the wings. This means the sharpness angle is more blunt. This will hold an edge a little longer and take a lot of abuse.
The thompson gouges will have a slightly sharper wing but then the gouge is made out particle metal which holds it's edge longer.
Both are good it's just how you use them.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM

When started tuning bowl & spindle gouges came with square grind and bevel angle of between 35 and 45 degrees. While that is true today vendors also sell fingernail, Irish, Side ground tools too.

When started turning Ellsworth and Craft Supply M-2 only gouges exception to square grind from manufacturer and vendors. Also sold Keys gouge modified spindle gouge called a detailed gouge. Richard Raffan had the round (curved) skew. Not sure, about Glaser tools cheapest one was about $95 from all vendors.

My M2 gouge came with sweptback flute/wings and bevel angle of 60-62 degrees.

Going from square ground tool, grind back flutes to resemble ladyfinger or fingernail. Not really trying to change bevel angle.

Irish, Ellsworth, Side, and Texas grinds all the same thing you are changing bevel angle and sweeping back flutes. You have to turn tool over and grind flutes before sharpening tool. Bevel angles can be anywhere from 55 to 80 degrees.

Whether you want Ellsworth or fingernail grind on your tools all it takes is a trip to the grinder.

Last edited by wildwood; 01-10-2012 at 10:17 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 AM

What you want from any sharpening jig is consistency every time you sharpen your tools.

Last edited by wildwood; 01-10-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode