Elation consternation and trepidation - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 11-14-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

View kingcotrader's Photo Album My Photos
Elation consternation and trepidation

So I was rounding the final turn, so to speak. Concluding hours and hours of love and labor. Sanding, lacquering, polishing. 128 pieces of maple, walnut, and purpleheart- my very first segmented piece.
And then it happened, somewhere between the third and fourth Hefewiezen.
It broke loose and flew off the lathe like a damn frisbee.

So now i need a chuck to finish my baby. I am using a jet 1236 and wanted to know what all you experts had to say about the various offerings. I need (want) one that expands to accept "cole" sp? jaws and have about 175-200 in the budget. Suggestions? are chucks worth the jack?
Also, i am seriously reconsidering using mdf as the sacrificial base. i originally had felt that it was the most stable but this is the second time i have had this happen using this method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bowl-20091114-0907.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	11563  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-14-2009, 06:03 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
You don't need a chuck. A chuck is nice and I won't talk you out of buying one but to mount the piece again all you need is a faceplate with a scrap of wood. Turn or drill a hole bigger than the small tenon left on your vase. Then carefully turn a hole with a flat bottom to fit the larger tenon on your vase. If don't carefully enough you should be able to glue the vase back onto the waste block with perfect alignment. I find this more accurate than using a chuck which can squeeze the wood unequally and throw things off.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-14-2009, 08:41 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
King,
Nice looking vase. How exactly did you have it fastened before it broke? Not sure I am following it by the picture.
Mike Hawkins

Elation consternation and trepidation
"You use big words like that, who could denounce them?"
(Gravis Mushnick, original 'Little Shop of Horrors')
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2009, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

mike,
from what i have seen-

The broken off base might look odd because i had it on a screw on faceplate, the little tube you see is glue because i couldnt figure out how to center the piece so i drilled a center hole in the sacrificial mdf (that i could align with the faceplate) to align with the cross of purpleheart in the base of the vase. so when it broke off it left a little extra glue shaped like a tube...
post #5 of 6 Old 11-15-2009, 01:38 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Using MDF was your first mistake. It doesn't handle shear forces very well. I use solid woods like tulip Poplar for my wasteblocks if I can. I've also used pine if it's good and solid and maple. Usually whatever scraps I have around the shop that are solid with tight grain and no weak spots showing.
What you can do is rig up large wasteblock that you can press fit the tip of the vase on. Turn a large enough tenon for the top of the vase to fit over. Then carve the bottom as flat as you can get it and mount this thing on the lathe with the tailstock very lightly pressing on the bottom. rotate it by hand until you find the center with the tailstock. Then tighten up the tailstock and take very light cuts until you have a flat bottom and a tenon. Then you'll have something you can glue into a wasteblock. This comes from experience. I've been there done that, probably too many times.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-16-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Great info, thats the last time i use mdf. thats for sure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode