Easy Chuck - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Easy Chuck

Has anyone tried the Easy Chuck from Easy Wood Tools? It looks very nice but come on, $500?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...1-x-8-TPI.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I had seen the ad's which did not have a price.

This is far too much for a single chuck. I think EWT is marketing this to save buying multiple chucks.

I can see the cost to manufacture being a little higher than a normal scroll chuck, but this price would put me off from even considering.

Duncsass saw this demo'd by EWT at a woodturning club meeting some weeks ago.

If I had to decide between two chucks or a single chuck which costs as much, I would get two chucks.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 PM

View Ibangwood's Photo Album My Photos
It's so stupid, they should focus on there MAIN product, Sorby just came out with his answer to the ewt and has a lottt of different cutter heads and metals to choose from. From high speed steel to tungsten carbide,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM

View Nate Bos's Photo Album My Photos
$500 is crazy! Nice chuck but thats as much as TWO top of the line chucks!
post #5 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 03:08 PM
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

View oldmacnut's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to oldmacnut
You would be amazed at what I do with just a face plate, spur center, and a shop made donut chuck. Spending hundreds on chucks and accessories just seems like a waste of money when some glue, and a plywood block are far more stable.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Woodworking Talk

It's all fun and games until someone loses the Walnut.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 04:47 PM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
EWT,are really proud of their products? Now a $500 chuck? Give me a break. I will have to agree with "oldmacnut" about turning with face plates.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 05:00 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
Duncsass saw this demo'd by EWT at a woodturning club meeting some weeks ago.
Correct -- and I like it

A lot

But I don't like it to the tune of $500

However -- I can see there might be turners who want:

(a) a very quick jaw change (faster even than switching from one chuck to another, I think), and

(b) a chuck that is made in USA.

So I won't call anybody who chooses to buy one of these crazy or stupid or any other name -- they are probably much better turners than me.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #8 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Yep, at tad on the expensive side. That would be mmmm.. Four SN2's with inserts from the Nova service center.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 06:10 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Seeing as how I have 3 Talons all set with different jaws I don't think I'll be buying this. However if I was starting out and they change jaws that easily, I might consider it.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #10 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 PM
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncsuss

Correct -- and I like it

A lot

But I don't like it to the tune of $500

However -- I can see there might be turners who want:

(a) a very quick jaw change (faster even than switching from one chuck to another, I think), and

(b) a chuck that is made in USA.

So I won't call anybody who chooses to buy one of these crazy or stupid or any other name -- they are probably much better turners than me.

Let me ask you this......however I am asking politely....

If I am able to turn nice pieces, segmented projects, crazy off balance stuff, etc, and some of you guys as fellow turners do indeed find some of that stuff pretty darn nice....

Consider the 6 months turning experience, and a POS Sears monotube lathe from 600 years ago, no chuck, crappy chisels.

Knowing that, does it really matter if us turners on budgets, weekend warriors, hobbiests, have 500.00 high tech chucks and $10,000 lathes?.

Yes , I'd love a Nova lathe, yes there are times I should have a chuck. However, as most of this hobby turned small income generator has been on such a tight budget, I find myself getting by without, or making it.

I got this old lathe to see if turning would be useful, it sat 2 of the 6 months I've had it, I am still struggling with banjo repairs, but I can still turn things using a sanding plate I drilled holes in to use as a faceplate.

Point is, with companies marketing things like this, I think it takes away from the newcomers, that you really don't need such high end exspensive equipment to take up turning.

Make sense?.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Woodworking Talk

post #11 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacnut View Post
Let me ask you this ...
Jim, did you take something I wrote personally?

Those people who choose NOT to buy one of these chucks (including me) are okay.

Those people who choose to buy one of these chucks (and I don't know any yet) are okay. They will have their reasons, and it's their money.

post #12 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I look at it this way: there's more than one way to skin a cat. As with any form of wood working, there are many different ways of achieving the same results. Just look at Kenbo and Buggymans current build. If someone has the means to use nicer tools, does that make them less of a craftsman? If someone doesn't want to use a chuck, are they less of a turner? I don't think so. Does it make life easier? Probably, but not always. I say do whatever you like, however you like, just be safe!

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
The Following User Says Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
robert421960 (11-21-2012)
post #13 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
well said steve
post #14 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
If I am able to turn nice pieces, segmented projects, crazy off balance stuff, etc, and some of you guys as fellow turners do indeed find some of that stuff pretty darn nice....

Consider the 6 months turning experience, and a POS Sears monotube lathe from 600 years ago, no chuck, crappy chisels.

I got this old lathe to see if turning would be useful, it sat 2 of the 6 months I've had it, I am still struggling with banjo repairs, but I can still turn things using a sanding plate I drilled holes in to use as a faceplate.

Point is, with companies marketing things like this, I think it takes away from the newcomers, that you really don't need such high end exspensive equipment to take up turning.

Make sense?.
Jim,

You do make some very nice pieces, despite of your equipment. We all like seeing your pieces.

I have seen wonderful pieces made with hand turned lathes.

So you and others are able to utilize your skills with limited equipment. This thread is not meant to point at any turner. It was merely showing how much EWT is asking for what may be a very well designed and manufactured chuck.

In every sport or hobby there are a spectrum of people and budgets.

I do not worry about the folks who can afford a $200,000 car. I cannot. I can still appreciate the concept of the luxury item.

So far the replies all agree EWT is trying to sell this for too high a price. Some folks may still be willing to pay. Most of us will not.

I like many items I cannot afford and have to do the best I can with what I have available.

I have not seen one of these chucks first hand. I may like the design, but I will not be laying out the money to buy one.

I do have scroll chucks, and although I could work with just faceplates etc, I was lucky to be able to afford the ones I have.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncsuss View Post
Jim, did you take something I wrote personally?

No sir, not in the least bit. I think that due to my very tight budget I was forced into doing things without top end equipment, and I see things differently.

I will never get butt-hurt due to opinions about any topic on this forum, I look at all of you guys in a respectful manor and really do not, nor did I intend to make you feel like you said anything wrong.

Now if you wrote a post containing " Jim I have a bunch of cherry you cant have it neener neener neener", yeah I might sniffle a little like a little kid.

post #16 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
That has some ingenuity put in it to say the least. We can sit back and watch, I'll bet eventually the price will come down or a competitor will make something similar at a lower cost.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe I'm just a skeptic. I would be worried that some thing that easy to change the jaws may not stay in adjustment. I don't change jaws that often. I do own two chucks and I would buy a third chuck before I would pay 500 for a single chuck.
Tom
post #18 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
No sir, not in the least bit.
Glad about that
Quote:
I think that due to my very tight budget I was forced into doing things without top end equipment, and I see things differently.
I don't think we see things so much differently -- I started with a 1942 Dunlap lathe that I was given by a workmate. It has a 9" swing, the drive is "Shopsmith" (5/8ths diameter with a flat), and it has a dead center at the tail which cannot be changed.

I managed to make some pens and a couple of round sticks with it, but knew that one day I wanted to make larger diameter bowls and higher quality pens. An upgrade was inevitable, and when I could afford it, I did it.

post #19 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 07:37 PM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe it's just me but I feel that EWT tools are over priced and certainly the chuck seems over priced too..That said I do own the rougher but there are others on the market for half the price and perform the same task just as well.Same thing applies to the chuck.

Last edited by HLW; 11-21-2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: I left out a word in the sentence

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode