Dust Free Turning????? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

View Tom Martin's Photo Album My Photos
Dust Free Turning?????

Hi,
I have just joined this forum and would like to say hi to everyone.
I have just started a project and was wondering if anyone has tried it before.
I am tired of sucking dust while turning. I have a Triton powered respirator and use it frequently (mostly during sanding). I prefer the light weight cheapo flip-up face mask (no dust filter) . I also use a central dust collector,but still wnd up with a nose full!
I came up with a brainstorm idea to help alleviate this. I am building walls around my lathe (with removable panel to allow turningoff the end of the lathe (PM3520). I mounted a jet air cleaned near the top of the wall right above the lathe and put a large filter right in back of the lathe. I will be installing a diffuser box right above the area I usually stand so the air from the cleaner will blow right down on me.There will also be a hood from my dust collector mounted on a slide in back of the lathe.
I think this set up will provide dust free air in my breathing zone when complete.
Has anyone out there tried anything like this? Are there any suggestions that could make this idea better? I promise to post some pics when its done.
Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by Tom Martin; 05-01-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: forgot a nfew words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like a plan to me.I have the trend,works great when I rememmber to wear it.plus a delta dust collector.I really do try to wear it when sanding.Seems like you have a pretty good idea,can't wait to see some pic's.Good luck.
Ken
post #3 of 8 Old 05-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
I have an extraction system in the shop for the bulk, but when i sand i use a shop vac right on the work and have no problem with dust, apart from when the wife empties bags and does not put together proply and get a great dust cloud still can't have everything can you ..LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-02-2008, 06:03 AM

View Check twice!'s Photo Album My Photos
I have tried many different devices for extracting the dust and chips from the shop. The chips are easy but that fine dust always finds the nostrils.

I have a dust collection system, and for sanding and cutting of wood I wear a respirator or dust mask. Some woods create more fine dust than others.

I am always looking for new ways to alleviate them dusty's, I will be very interested in how your system works. You seem to have gone to some heavy thinking to beat the "dusty's",......... this is all out war. :)

Nothing is too good to protect the lungs, we only have two, and the local hardware store do not sell replacements.

Good luck with the system and post your success.

Your lungs will appreciate your labours.

John

Cleaning my glasses will not make me look any better.
But will make what I am looking at better!
post #5 of 8 Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Mission Accomplished????

Well I finally finished my booth project. I still need to hook up the dust collecter and clean/organize the area, but the worst is over.
I fire up the air cleaner and shut the door and was a little dissappointed. I guess I was expecting a gale force wind blowing out of the filter, but that didn't happen. The booth is positive and air is going through the filter so I guess it will help. I ended up using clear plastic on much of the walls to let light in and give it more of an open feel.
An added benefit to this project is that it will be more difficult to move the lathe around. Hopefully it is now anchored to a spot. I have already moved it 5 times this year!!!!! Hopefully I can now spend more time turning and less time rearranging!
Overall, the project was beneficial
  1. chips are now confined to an 8x10 area so clean up should be easier.
  2. solvents are now evacuated from the work area
  3. the extra walls allowed a lighting upgrade, a new 220 volt line,and 110 volt recepticals placed where they should keep dangling power sander cord away from spinning wood!
  4. I was able to incorporate a 20 tool holder that should keep the lathe bed free of the pile of tools that usually accumulate while turning (the pvc pipe tool holder in the photo)
  5. I was able to build it for under budget ($100.00)
NOW TO PUT IT TO THE REAL TEST!!
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	3339  

Click image for larger version

Name:	booth.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	3340  

post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2008, 03:28 PM

View Check twice!'s Photo Album My Photos
Tom

You did go to a lot of work to keep the saw dust contained, now the test to see if it will keep the dust down.

A nice piece of work!

Let me know how it goes when you are turning for an hour or 2. Good idea!!

Thanks for the photos
John

Cleaning my glasses will not make me look any better.
But will make what I am looking at better!
post #7 of 8 Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 AM

View bass-akward's Photo Album My Photos
Tom,
If you're still around, let us know how this turned out. Looks pretty cool.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Update

Well it works........and it doesn't
I ended up removing the baffle I put on the air cleaner because it was too much! It was like turning in a wind tunnel. Without the baffle I still get adequate air flow without the turbulence.
I also removed the air filter in back of the lathe as it would load rapidly and I would end up getting more dust during the cleaning /replacement operation than I cared for-I may try a modification later on to reduce this.
An added benefit of the air cleaner is that it helps circulate heat in the winter and provides a cooling breeze in the summer.
I do like my turning room and am glad I did it.I removed the wall to turn some larger pieces and although I designed the wall for easy removal/install (1 screw and channels for the waferboard). I have not reinstalled it. Perhaps I'm a borderline claustrophobic!
I consider the chisel storage location flawed and need to rethink it. The location is close enough, but it is a chip trap. I also think reaching over the lathe to retrieve a tool while the lathe is on isn't a good idea The other problem with it is finding a way to install my dust collector. I have tried many configurations with less than satisfactory results. (hard to position/no clearance, blocking tools, nicked fingers from the sharp chisels,etc) Most of the tools I'm using end up on the lathe ways while I'm turning anyway.
The countertop in back of the lathe is a problem too. Anything on it still gets buried in chips. I installed doors on all of the shelves to keep chips away and this worked fine, but when I get focused on turning ,many tools and supplies end up on the counter buried instead of the cabinet they belong -my bad -I have thought about hanging one of those plastic strip partitions commonly used on shipping recieving docks, but haven't got around to it yet
The main reson for enclosing the lathe was to confine the chips. Well that works fine. The only problem is that I was getting back aches from bending over to turn when the chips reached the 6-8 inch level on the floor!!!! my bad again- I need to shovel between bowls

I have a feeling this will always be a work in progress and I will never have a totally dust free turning enviroment. BUT IT IS GETTING BETTER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode