Dust collection at the lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

View D. Frana's Photo Album My Photos
Dust collection at the lathe

My ductwork for my dust collector is almost all up and I've got it connected to my band saw. Now I need it to my Nova DVR. What kinds of rigs do you all use to your lathes. I know Penn State Industries offers the Big Gulp lathe hood and the Big Red dust hood. The Big Gulp attaches to the lathe bed and I'm not sure how rigid it would be. The Big Red is the free-standing kind you can roll around. I may just make something of my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Make something of your own. I bought the clear plastic one from Rockler or Woodworkers supply. I forget who. I've broken it more times than I can tell you. However it has worked for at least 5 or 6 years even though I cuss at it a lot.
with just a little imagination you can easily make one out of furnace duct work. Attach a simple stand or rig up a way to attach it to the lathe. What I really regret about mine is the inability to rotate. It's more or less square which I think is ineficient for how we use it. Being able to rotate it to fit platters vs hollow vessles and spindles would be a big help.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Dust collection at the lathe

I got tired of dragin hoses from one tool to the other,so I ran PVC pipe around the shop and got some flex pipe and shutoff gates from HF and hooked up to each tool.I have about 6 hookups and the total cost is about 60.00 bucks and works great.

God Bless all
Ken Ward
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I turned a post for the head of mine to insert into the banjo. I can adjust it to any height or position that I want. A cheap connector is the round to rectangular plastic fitting for down spouts to connect to underground drain line (about $2). This will not work if you use your tool rest to support your sanding mechanism on (drill, etc). A piece of hardware cloth in the throat keeps pieces of sandpaper from being sucked in.
I am currently working on modifying it to rotate as John brought up.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-23-2011, 11:44 PM
WoodTurner

View vcooney's Photo Album My Photos
I have have the big gulp and it not all the great most of the time I go with out it and use the hose only.

This is my setup
Dust collection at the lathe-vac-holder4.jpg

Dust collection at the lathe-vac-holder3.jpg

Dust collection at the lathe-vac-holder.jpg
post #6 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
It's hokey, and somewhat ugly, but I took a 4" ducted 4x10 floor register, opened one of the rolled sides up, epoxied some rare earth magnets onto it (so that they stay with the hood when I move it instead of sticking on the lathe bed). I have FOR NOW attached a cardboard extension to help direct air over the workpiece... It works great for sanding. Mind you, catching the shavings as they are made is a fools errand if you ask me... Anything that would catch the shavings, would interfere with the tool itself...

I will soon replace the cardboard with rolled sheet metal riveted into place...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #7 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 PM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Flexform hose from Rockler and attached it to a bench mounted blast gate. It's bendable and will support it's own weight so I just bend it so the opening is close to my work. I'm happy with it.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM

View Ron Rutter's Photo Album My Photos
Most people do not realize that it is the volume of air that picks up the fines. Use 6" duct rather than 4" which is higher velocity & tends to tunnel & restrict the area of pick-up. A 6"x10" boot makes an excellent pick-up. Ron.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode