Dust collecting system - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

View cwhit's Photo Album My Photos
Dust collecting system

I've been using a shop vac for dust collection and about to buy a dust collection system. I would appreciate any advice, recomendations, brands, or any input anyone has.

Thanks Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 01:40 PM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
I would say buy what you can afford. First choice would be a cyclone, hands down. Second would be a single stage with a filter, not a bag. Last but certainly least is the single stage with the bag filter. Cyclones are bar nun easier to empty, and IMO last much longer between filter cleanings. I run mine to the outside of the building so it never needs cleaning. Another option would be a Single stage with a cyclone lid attachment to a trash can. Buy what you can afford though as you will not regret it. I seriously think the DC is the most underrated machine in the wood shop.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
I've been pondering this as well. Most of my work has been on the lathe lately. I've got it positioned at the garage door with a fan behind me and to the side. Most of the chips and dust blow right out the garage door.

I've also been eyeballing a box of computer fans that I've collected over some years. I bet I could move a lot of air through a box with all those babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 05:25 PM

View Hokie-G's Photo Album My Photos
Bigger Picture

To add some more questions to get you to a decision...

- Do you plan to make this a permanent installation? Will you be installing ductwork with drops to each tool?

- How far away from the tool will the dust collector be? (Longer distances require a larger collector)

- How many machines will you be running concurrently?

- What is your budget (will be the ultimate factor).

If you're looking for a first dust collector that will grow with you a bit, I would look for a 1.5 to 2hp single stage collector with a pleated filter. Once you have that, then you'll begin to tire of switching the hose from tool to tool, and start to think about where the ductwork will go. (this is the stage that I"m at). There's many great books out there that teach you the basics about static pressure calculations, but keep the principles simple.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 06:16 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Shop Fox 1 1/2 hp dust collector with bags, I built my own cyclone can and it works well for me. I spent about $325 on the collector,can and fittings. I also ran 4" pvc drain pipe to each tool and added blast gates but that was extra. If you can afford a larger collector and have the available 220 outlet then go for it. I can use two machines at a time with my system but it works better with one at a time. I have to block the middle port in the cyclone can from sucking from straight below it sucks the dust out the can when almost full. I am going to put a plate a few inches below it and put sides to make it suck from the top and then around and into the pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010297.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	8247  

Attached Images

post #6 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I want to end up with the dust collector in a back room on the shop under the stairs for noise. Right now I would probably use it as a portable or set it up in a central location. I would like to set it up with cut offs for each tool but I would only be running one at a time.

Power is not a problem, I have 220 to my shop. Money - I have about 1500 from the sales of some toys I no longer play with.

Clay
post #7 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 07:58 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Your in good shape then. I would definately go for the 220 2hp then.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-04-2009, 09:39 PM

View Hokie-G's Photo Album My Photos
Shoot for the Moon!

If your budget is 1500, then I would suggest the 2hp Grizzly Cyclone, assuming it works with your stairs arragnement. There are a few lower-profile units out there if you need to reduce the height. The collector runs just under 1000, and ductwork can get you up to your budget limit faster than you think.

Let us know what you go with.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-04-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

I've been looking all day and getting catalogs.

TEMPEST from penn state ind, Grizzly, Jet, and Oneida. Most cyclone run $900-1200 for 2hp, and then you have to add in all the duct work. Work Hight is not a problem I have up to 10 ft. I'm just not sure of size, I normally only run one tool at a time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode