Drilling a perfectly centered hole. Why? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

View CivilEngineer13's Photo Album My Photos
Drilling a perfectly centered hole. Why?

Got a lathe not too long ago and am waiting on my mandrel for some pens. Been reading alot of stuff about it and got to thinking: why is it so important to have a hole drilled perfecty through the center like everything says you should. If I locate the dead center of on side of a blank and drill through to the other side with a hand drill and my hole ends up being, lets say, less than half a degree off on that other side, why does that matter. In my mind I see myself taking in down to make a pen, and that sightly off hole will go away as I start knocking down the blank and make it round. I don't understand that as long as you have a "pretty much" straight hole, why the rest won't work itself out on the lathe? As I haven't had the chance to try it yet, what am I missing?

Thanks, hope my explaination makes sense!

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Drilling a perfectly centered hole.Why?

I don't know for sure,but I think that when you get some blanks where there is not a lot of room for error and if you get to off center,you may loose a few blanks.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-05-2009, 07:43 PM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
My opinion if you are off a degree on your drilling is not that big of deal when doing pens, as long as you have enough wood to turn down to the bushings. The larger the pen less room for error. But the most important part is truing the ends to the barrel of you pens so when you turn them to the right diameter of your bushings, and when press together you have a tight fit. I hope this helps..Jeff

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
Good question Civil. I have wondered this very question myself usually when I see a $75 pen drilling vise at Woodcraft and go wow. I cut a notch in a wood clamp to drill blanks with. I'm interested to see if there are more opinions on this though.

John
post #5 of 7 Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Civil,
It normally doesn't make any difference as long as you don't run out too much that you can't true it back up, or if you get one of the fancy blanks like below. Also if you are turning something with stripes, it will make the stripes come out skewed.
Mike Hawkins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2371.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	7038  

Attached Images

post #6 of 7 Old 02-06-2009, 05:22 AM
WoodTurner

View vcooney's Photo Album My Photos
Basically, if you drill dead center you have more wood to turn (create) with.

Vince

Nice looking pepper mills Firehawk.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-07-2009, 08:33 PM

View mmtools's Photo Album My Photos
Wow!! those are great pepper mills! I agree, it depends on the blank diameter, amount of wood to remove, and how accurate theends are cut. Good looking project!!

Mike O
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit. - Anthony Bourdain
Toolsandmachinery.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode