drilling a pen blank - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 04-02-2007, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

View chovy's Photo Album My Photos
drilling a pen blank

I have a problem drilling a pen blank with my drill press. I can only go about half way down, then I have to turn the blank over to finish it.

Obviously this is a rather less-than-desired way to drill from both ends towards the middle.

I have looked near-and-far for a drill press that has enough throw to handle the entire pen blank (about 6 inches), but they seem to be non-existent, at least for the hobbiest.

How is everyone else drilling out pen-blanks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Hi chovy,

I am not a turner, but want to welcome you to our club.
Someone will be along to help with your dilemma I bet.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-02-2007, 06:24 AM

View Kirk Allen's Photo Album My Photos
Use a longer drill bit. You should be able to make the first hole as far as you can with your current depth capability and the bit resesed into the chuck. Then turn the machine off and pull the bit out for more length. The bit will be in the hole already and now you should be able to continue the hole all the way through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-02-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Allen View Post
Use a longer drill bit. You should be able to make the first hole as far as you can with your current depth capability and the bit resesed into the chuck. Then turn the machine off and pull the bit out for more length. The bit will be in the hole already and now you should be able to continue the hole all the way through.

I thought about that, but i could not make sense of it.
THe drillbit only moves 6" because that's the throw on the press....having a 6" or a 12" drill doesn't make any difference.

I have a jig setup where I move the blank up towards the chuck after the bit is sunken in about half way, and this allows me to continue to drill, but it's not ideal.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-02-2007, 05:07 PM

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
I haven't made any pens in about3 years but I am confused as to why you need to drill a 6"blank for a pen. I think you better back up and read the directions you get with every pen kit you recieve with the kit. You need two blanks and maybe your thinking you need only one. Stick with it and good luck. Post a picture here when you get your first pen turned. Good Luck. Been there ,done that.. Mitch ( A good way to check the length of the wood blank is to measure the brass insert that goes in each wood blank) Piece of cake.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-02-2007, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

even if i cut the blank in half, or drill two seperate holes, one for each half of the pen, the holes will not be lined up perfectly as if it were drilled in one motion.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-02-2007, 06:18 PM

Did you check the length of each brass insert for the top and bottom pieces like I suggested? If you did they have to be right. If the holes are drilling off center then you have a drill press problem. Your press probably has a run out problem. What kind of drill press are you using? Do you know how to check for run out? Can you post a picture of the press when your just ready to drill, snap a picture and post it here so we can see what your doing? Mitch
post #8 of 15 Old 04-03-2007, 03:04 AM
ctb

View ctb's Photo Album My Photos
try this link ; http://www.turningshop.com/Pen-Making-hp.html

it doesn't matter that the drill bit runs out and your 2 halves dont match, when fitted to the mandrek and turned you will get a perfect match anyway, and as only a few millimeters of timer are actually used in the final pen as long as the thinnest part of the drilled blank has more than enough wide you will be ok

Chris
post #9 of 15 Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 PM

Chris
I disagree, it is never ok to have run out and get good results. I'm not saying he couldn't get good results but soon enough he will find out it pays to have a good press and have it running properly and even more important that he learn how to make it run properly. Mitch
post #10 of 15 Old 04-04-2007, 02:39 AM
ctb

View ctb's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Cholewinski View Post
Chris
I disagree, it is never ok to have run out and get good results. I'm not saying he couldn't get good results but soon enough he will find out it pays to have a good press and have it running properly and even more important that he learn how to make it run properly. Mitch

Mitch......... how much run out can you get over a 2 inch bore, when I used to make a pen I used a pillar drill and held the blank in the drill press vice, never had any serious run out, and pens turned out fantastic.

Chris
post #11 of 15 Old 07-03-2007, 02:58 PM

View Lspiteri's Photo Album My Photos
The best way is to cut the blank to the desired lengths and then drill them. Make sure that prior to cutting the blanks, that you mark a line down the blank where you cut to make sure that you assemble the pieces wth the grain (if you are using wood or plastic) in the correct orientation.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-03-2007, 04:27 PM

View Lspiteri's Photo Album My Photos
I have turned hundreds and hundreds of pens and it does not matter if the holes are not centered as long as there is enough material left on the smallest side to turn to the size of the bushing
post #13 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 PM

View bigdogpc's Photo Album My Photos
I have had minimal problems with run out when I drill but I DO use a jig and each half is located the same on the drill press so they are drilled the same. At least within reason. Once on the mandrel, as long as there was material to clean up, it was all good. I'm not talking nine miles of runout either.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 03:55 PM

View Nancy Laird's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chovy View Post
How is everyone else drilling out pen-blanks?
Have you tried drilling them on your lathe itself? I have NOT done this b/c I have a dp with a 6" throw, (big Delta), but I understand that it's done all the time by others.

Put your blank in the headstock in a oneway or similar chuck, put a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock with the proper-sized bit, turn on the lathe and drill away by pushing the tailstock up into the rotating blank.

There are two pen-turning forums I belong to--

http://www.penturners.org/forum/portal.asp

and www.thepenshop.net, and this method has been discussed on those forums.

(Hope these links aren't a no-no. If they disappear, just PM me and I'll give them to you.)

Nancy (134 days)

Nancy and Dave Laird
D&N Specialties
Rio Rancho, NM
David works in the Pro Sales Divison at Woodworker's Supply.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-09-2007, 04:29 PM

View jgeorgie33's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lspiteri View Post
I have turned hundreds and hundreds of pens and it does not matter if the holes are not centered as long as there is enough material left on the smallest side to turn to the size of the bushing

I've watched my dad do this a hundred times, too. I've been meaning to try it some time. It does seem like how centered it is doesn't really matter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode