Drill going off centre - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

View heliosuk's Photo Album My Photos
Drill going off centre

Hi people,

I'm very new to wood turning and am gradually finding my way around however I have to me a massive problem when drilling pen blanks.

I write off nearly 50% as the drill will drift off centre. Initially I thought it was an alignment or run out problem with the pillar drill but I think I have narrowed it down now to drill pressure and speed.

I can't seem to find any info on what is the correct speed etc.

Any tips on how to make sure it's central all the way through or what drill to use. I get best results from using metal cutting drills but these seem to blow or crack the bottom end of the blank.

I've also seen a tool that holds the blanks vertically but I don't see how this will get over the issue, just help it.

Any tips as it's driving me nuts now?

Thanks in anticipation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 07:27 PM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
probs with drilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliosuk View Post
Hi people,

I'm very new to wood turning and am gradually finding my way around however I have to me a massive problem when drilling pen blanks.

I write off nearly 50% as the drill will drift off centre. Initially I thought it was an alignment or run out problem with the pillar drill but I think I have narrowed it down now to drill pressure and speed.

Any tips on how to make sure it's central all the way through or what drill to use. I get best results from using metal cutting drills but these seem to blow or crack the bottom end of the blank.

I've also seen a tool that holds the blanks vertically but I don't see how this will get over the issue, just help it.

Thanks in anticipation.
a wood bit is not going blow out the end of your work and slow down 2nd slowest on the press and clear the bit every 1\2 inch do you know the bit i mean the tip looks like a forsner bit most important you clear the drill bit

Last edited by woody woodturner; 07-11-2010 at 07:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woody woodturner For This Useful Post:
heliosuk (07-12-2010)
post #3 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 PM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliosuk View Post
Hi people,

Thanks in anticipation.
They make drill bits for drilling pin blanks Check here search around the page http://woodturning.pennstateind.com/...ill+pin+blanks
The Following User Says Thank You to del schisler For This Useful Post:
heliosuk (07-12-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Drill going off centre

Thanks for the replies chaps!

My drill press is a 16 speed with the lowest being 240 rpm and second lowest 320 followed by 360, 470, 540, 580 and upwards to 3150. Is 320 or 240 still too fast??

The drill bit I use which gives me the most grief is a brad point wood bit. Now the interesting thing about this bit is that I can flex it and this is evident when it makes contact with the blank. It came with the mandrel I bought. I'm not used to seeing a 7mm HSS bit flex like this so perhaps it's faulty??
Axminster Woodworking tools in the UK is marketing a new design which apparently clears drillings in half the time.

Does anyone think this might be the answer if used in conjunction with the pen blank press???

Your help is much appreciated!
post #5 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I have had the same problem when drilling acrylic blanks. I was using a pen vise to hold the blank vertical. I even made a jig to hold the blank in a perfectly vertical position and still had problems with the bit coming through the side of the blank. I don't have problems drilling wooden blanks. I would aslo like to know the solution to this problem.
Tom
post #6 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
sawdust maker

drill flex is a prob the drill will follow a grain try looking for a bit thay has cobalt in it not a lot of flex 320rpms is fine but clear that drill bit manually the bit gets hot and go's anywere it wants

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot

Last edited by woody woodturner; 07-12-2010 at 07:52 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 PM
sawdust maker

slowly is the key feel the bit bite and applie a little pressure you will feel it cutting and every 1/2 inch clear the bit

post #8 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Also you could use a waste block under your blank while drilling to help with the blowout. Ease up when you get to the bottom or cut your blank a little longer & cut to size after you drill cutting off any blowout.

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
post #9 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 06:15 AM
sawdust maker

let us know how you go ok

post #10 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Drill going off centre

Many thanks guys.

This is the bit I was thinking of buying:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/colt-hss-...ts-prod783313/

What do you reckon??

I'll get the vice as well if you think it would help. I've taken the belts down to 320 rpm tonight and will cut up some old off cuts to trial.

I do appreciate this help you are giving. If it was metal or a car I'd know how to fix it but wood is a new challenge for me to master. It's like trying to tame a slippery eel
post #11 of 13 Old 08-07-2010, 04:35 PM

View Melinda_dd's Photo Album My Photos
Hi, I'm new to wood turning too, and I have the same problem drilling wood blanks for pens. I have resorted to buying pre-drilled blanks as I was getting so upset that i couldn't do it. Only problem there, is that there is very little choice of different matterials.
I tried drilling my first acrylic one the other day.... went fine, followed by a blow out the side, and an off centre one!
I'm using a drill press on god knows what speed (doing it in my lunch break on works machine um!) I am using the bit that all the books recommend for drilling pen blanks tho.
.....so ditto on any tips gratefully received!

Keep at it Heliosuk, such achievement when you finish your first decent pen!!
post #12 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 04:37 AM
sawdust maker

looks like a decent bit remember slow and steady

post #13 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 08:57 AM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
I have had the same problem when drilling acrylic blanks. I was using a pen vise to hold the blank vertical. I even made a jig to hold the blank in a perfectly vertical position and still had problems with the bit coming through the side of the blank. I don't have problems drilling wooden blanks. I would aslo like to know the solution to this problem.
Tom

There is a some info on this web site http://www.webfootcustomcalls.com/acrylicdrills.html that may help with your problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode