Doug Thompson Tool Handles - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Ack

View Ack's Photo Album My Photos
Doug Thompson Tool Handles

Anyone have any experience with these handles. I am interested in purchasing some of his tools and saw he sells handles as well. Just curious to know if anyone has used them and their opinions on them? Thanks, Ack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 06:21 PM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Never heard of him do you have a link or Pictures?
post #3 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 09:10 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a link for Doug's site:

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/to...sp?TYPE=HANDLE

Doug is a member of our turning club and makes some really nice tools. The handles are very nice in person. Very precisely milled and finished.
Mike Hawkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 09:14 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
www.thompsonlathetools.com I bought one of the first gouges he made and have been using them ever since. They are state of the art steel. They are particle metal. If your not familiar with that material it starts out as a mix of powders and is then pressed into shape. Then it is sintered (their version of melting it together) This process allows them to mix higher quantities of materials that make the steel tougher than can be mixed by melting them together. This improves edge holding capability.
The shapes of his tools are really great and they come ground the way most turners use those tools.
The handles are nice. They come in different lengths with you get them for the shaft size you need. You can add steel shot to them to change the balance and weight. I like the shorter ones without the shot. My long one has it because I use that tool to rough out bowls and the shot helps dampen the vibration.
His tools are priced below what others who sell this material charge. That's because he is a one man operation. If you order one you get one made, cut and ground by Doug.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Ack

View Ack's Photo Album My Photos
Hey guys thanks for the reply. But I think I'm a little confused. Will I have to permanently attache the tool to these handles? Or can you interchange the tools with one handle if it fits? If I have to permanently attache the tool how do I do so? Thanks again.
Ack
post #6 of 8 Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
These are very highly spoken of on a wood turners forum I'm on, and no the attachment is not permanent, it is (at least I think I remember this correctly) via set screws.

Regardless of what handle you use, the folks on the woodturner forum invariably say that Doug's gouges are THE best you can buy regardless of price. That is, you can spend more but you can't get better.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Last edited by phinds; 12-28-2010 at 03:24 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-28-2010, 12:16 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
They do have setscrews so you can remove the tool for sharpening or if you have other tools with the same size shank you can install those. It's also handy if you travel like I do. I can remove the tool and make the whole package shorter for storage.
The one thing I don't like is the handles are all metal. A little cool this time of year in my shop. I do like the square handle because is won't roll off the lathe. He will also custom engrave them for you if you want that. He had some at the last show that said "stolen from the workshop of (insert your name). I liked those but elected to get mine plain.
You can remove the shot or install more if you like. It is adjustable that way.
I don't know if I would say they are the best out there because there are a lot of good handles and each of us has our own needs. I certainly think they are excellent and extremely well made.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-28-2010, 02:43 PM

View New Yankee's Photo Album My Photos
Here's my latest handle from Doug with the 1-1/4 roughing gouge. He will have foam grip handles in the near future, yes they are interchangeable with his other tools, depends on size.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode