Dont get mad and hit the Lathe. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

View dollis's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy Dont get mad and hit the Lathe.

After my three successful pens I decided to try some other combinations for the finishes. So I was in the middle of my 18th blank (yes, I am serious). My tail stock came loose two times causing the blank to almost fly out. The last time instead of looking inside the lathe and seeing the dust on the clamp I decided to push the handle down hard. It broke and scratched my arm so I got a “little” upset and pushed the lath back in the table to turn it around. While doing that I cracked the cover for the variable speed controller. So of course my order of 90+ pieces of various woods arrives for me to “look” at for the next 5 – 7 days (until repair parts arrive). The moral of the story “Take your time and pay attention or you will break it!”

Good news only cost $4.50 + 9.00 S&H

Last edited by dollis; 01-13-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
What lathe do you have? I may be able to help keep the tailstock from slipping. Is it the quill that slips or the whole tailstock? This is a common problem with less expensive lathes and even some more expensive lathes. Tightening the locking lever is usually not the solution. Most of the time it's making a larger clamp or flattening the bottom or both. Some turners have even purposely rusted the bed slightly to keep the tailstock from slipping. I think that's not the solution either but it does work.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Dollis,
For your next project, before you turn anymore pens, get a chunk of wood and turn a mallet and a handle for it. Nothing fancy. Keep a log up on end handy near your lathe. Next time you get mad at something while turning, (we all do at times), grab a hold of that mallet and give that poor log a few whacks. If no one is within earshot, you can let the @#$%%% fly also. Within a minute or two, you should be back to normal. Now, with a cooler demeanor present, try and diagnose the problem and what went wrong. Should work a little better and save those 'parts waiting periods'.
I have had bowls explode because I wasn't watching as I was finishing an interior cut and inadvertantly hit the tip of the tool on the edge of the bowl while removing it. Then I am on my hands and knees looking through the sawdust for all the pieces to glue back together. Now it becomes a quest to finish the bowl with some kind of 'redesign'. It's all part of the fun,
Mike Hawkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 09:38 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
WOW I am not sure I want a lathe now. Sounds like it would add stress to me already stressed life. LOL

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #5 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
stupid things do happen on the lathe but compared to real life it is a minor thing. I was making a parting cut last night on a lamp that I have to have finished by Thursday night and the wood broke. It was punky down inside. It through the lamp off and dented it so I had to turn away all the carving and finishing I had done. Basically almost starting over. I did get it turned and put the first layers of finish on last night so maybe I'll make it.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 PM

View jhelsel's Photo Album My Photos
Dust and pitch ususally causes this problem. Remove the tailstock and clean the surfaces that come in contact with the lathe bed. Also clean the bed. Fine steel wool should work fine.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-14-2009, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

After tearing my lathe apart all I could find was the packing grease / lube on the rails. Do you think it is a good idea to scuff up the rails with 100 grit sand paper to help it hold or should I just keep hitting it. I bought extra parts. I think the thing that made me the madest was the fact that the blank abought flew off and i had my daughter in there with me. She is only three and likes to do this stuff more than her 9 year old brother. She is even able to get the right tools when i ask for them.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Wink

YHEA, Warranty covered it. No $9.00 shipping and $4.00 for parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode