Dont do woodworking on a bad day! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Genius

View dollis's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to dollis
Unhappy Dont do woodworking on a bad day!

I did not start out good so i did somthing stupid and tried to end it on a good note. Man what a mistake! I have been trying to learn how to turn pens and have been learning on just the wood blanks and doing pretty good somehow. I thought it was time to take the plunge and make my first pen. I dont have a drill press yet so i went very slowly and carefully tryng to get the hole straight and did not do "too" bad. sanded the cylinder glued it in place then drilled and glued the second one took 2-3 min. ( was going slow to make sure i was doing ok. went to ream the first one out and there is when "IT" hit the fan. The clean out / facing tool Keept pushing the tubes out and even ended up bending one tube . I had to reglue both of them 2 times at lease if not more. I thought that the turning would be the hard part. Little did i know that the gluing would be that bad. I have them on the table and will let the set over night and see it they will set up buy morning. MAYBE tomarrow will be better yhea right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 PM

View jwcole's Photo Album My Photos
A Bad day is a Good day to go to bed Early...

What kind of glue did you use... When I first started i tyried several types of glue. Most didn't work. Finally I got some of that CA glue. The only thing that the CA glue hasn't held first time was an acrylic blank...

Good luck tomorrow.

Jonathan
post #3 of 9 Old 01-05-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Genius

View dollis's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to dollis
Question Thick CA glue.

I used the thick CA glue that came in the starter kit. How long do you usally have to let it setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 12:09 AM

View jwcole's Photo Album My Photos
The weekend after Christmas I had a Oak blank, chip on a pen set I was turning in the next day. I drilled the new blank, glue it, and had it on the lathe in probably 45 min. I haven't used the thick CA glue, I use the medium.

Jonathan
post #5 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 01:55 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Generaly speaking, when I have my second crash of the day, I put my things up and call it a day. This is something I have learned over the years. Cut your losses and go fishing. It will be there tomorrow.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #6 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Did you sand the tubes with course sandpaper. I've had tubes come out when using several different kinds of glue. I started roughing up the tubes with 60 or 80 grit running the scratches in different directions. That pretty much stopped the slipping tube problem but then I don't make enough pens to have a true test.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 11:43 AM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a lathe, I'd suggest that you use a jacobs chuck on your tailstock to drill the blanks. You could turn the blank between centers to get a round tenon on it and then install it in a lathe chuck for drilling. That is, if you have a lathe chuck. That's the expensive part. The jacobs chuck is cheap.

Or, a benchtop drill press and a handscrew clamp works pretty well too. The blank is carefully secured level and flush in the handscrew clamp for drilling.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 PM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
Shoot a bad day will end you up with a hand surgeon and staff..........
post #9 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 02:12 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I f you don't have a chuck drill a hole in a wasteblock attached to a faceplate and then glue the tenon into that hole. I use CA glue with an accelorator. I used that technique for drill for quite a while before I got my chuck and my drill press.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode