Do Bowl Turners want better tools? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

View sltuttle's Photo Album My Photos
Do Bowl Turners want better tools?

Hi, I have looked at three types of bowl turners and bought one, the tip was supposed to be sellite, they spelled it seelite. It was from New Zeland, and purchased from an american firm. The tip which should rockwell from 62 to 72 Rc scale was only 32 Rockwell. Obviously the reason was that they silver soldered on the "replacable" tip, and in so doing the tip had to be around 1200 digrees, which coincidentally is the annealing temperature for any M2 steel. Is there an interest in better tools for bowl turners? e-mail me if you think so [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-18-2008, 08:11 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
WOW Sltuttle I dont have a clue what you just said. LOL But I think your question would have a better chance of being answerd in the wood turning section. LOL good luck

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #3 of 5 Old 04-18-2008, 06:47 AM

View allenn's Photo Album My Photos
Steel hardess testing

FWIW,
There are several hardness scales for iron/steel, one of which is the rockwell scale - the higher the number, the harder the material. The material is tested by driving a round tipped punch of a given diameter into the sample with a given force. The depth of penetration shows the hardness.

I got the knowledge of steel hardness testing in Leonard Lee's book The Complete Guide to Sharpening. I highly recommend it, as the best sharpening guide I've read. Leonard Lee is the man who founded Lee Valley Tools and Veritas.

There may be other books on sharpening that are just as useful, but I haven't found them yet. Leonard Lee talks about all kinds of neat stuff in the book. I found it in my local library. I've checked it out several times, and gone in to refer to it even more frequently. My Daddy taught me to sharpen pocket knives when I was in 2nd grade, and Leonard Lee's explanations remind me of the way Daddy taught me, so that may color my judgement. Other folks might find someone else's style more beneficial, which is fine. If we were all the same, it'd be a far less interesting world.

allen norris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I bought that book too Allen, and I agree with your assessment of it. It is an excellent resource for anyone who wants to better understand how to sharpen tools.

Gerry
post #5 of 5 Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
I had a machinest show me how to sharpen drill bits once. After years of grinding the bits down to the nub, watching him do it was like a light bulb going off ontop of my head. I learnd from my grandpa how to sharpen wood chisles when I was young. And I know about the grading of bolts, but I never heard of the rockwell scale. That some good information allenn. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure

Last edited by Handyman; 04-18-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: caint spell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode