Discolored wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
Discolored wood

Can anybody explain this? I turned the outside of this vessel, sanded it and gave it a coat of tung oil. I got called away from the shop so I tied a plastic bag around it for the night.
The next morning it looked fine and had barely moved at all, so I hollowed it out then decided to go back to the outside and bring the base down another inch or so (make it taller) since I had some extra wood to work with.
The fresh cut wood was much lighter so I sanded up onto the finished surface (a bit farther with each grit) to blend it in and figured it would darken with oil and time but as you can see it never did. It's been 4 weeks and I've got several coats of tung oil on it.
I'm not worried about trying to fix it, I'd just like to understand why it reacted that way. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-17-2011, 04:42 PM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
Perhaps a reaction with the tung oil and the plastic bag that first night. Did you put it in a plastic bag after you finished with the bottom?

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 PM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
I was doing a bowl and got 5 coats of tung oil on it. I was setting it back up on the lathe, and I had it on reverse didnt realize it. the chuck spun right off, bouncing off the lathe bed and rolling across the floor ending up smacking the front of a bench grinder stand. I had many nicks and scrapes on an otherwise (most flawless finshed bowl I have produced to date) :( well I thought that I could sand out the scrapes and nicks and re-apply tung oil.
I cant get the color to match at all. I have to re-sand starting from 150 and go up. basically re-finishing it. :(
Live and learn. stupid useless reverse!

hope your piece works out for you.
What was the purpose of the bag? dust protection?

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

Last edited by slicksqueegie; 08-17-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidden
Perhaps a reaction with the tung oil and the plastic bag that first night. Did you put it in a plastic bag after you finished with the bottom?
No, that never occurred to me. There's no indication of where the bag actually touched the wood, but the bag would have held in moisture (which was it's purpose) as well as vapor from the finish and might have affected oxygen or some other gas level. Good thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonanza35 For This Useful Post:
slicksqueegie (08-17-2011)
post #5 of 9 Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksqueegie
What was the purpose of the bag? dust protection?
It was green wood and I was trying to minimize drying and movement until I could get back to it. Maybe I could attempt some kind of embellishment to try to make it look intentional.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-18-2011, 08:06 AM
sawdust manufacturer

View txpaulie's Photo Album My Photos
Had you not pointed it out so well, I may not have noted it.

If it bugs ya, maybe put some beads..?

Nice looking turning, either way!

p

...ever notice how "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" mean the same thing, unless you are at a funeral..?
post #7 of 9 Old 08-18-2011, 08:17 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
There probably a technical explanation to your question, I am unable to give you one other than live with it. Properties in wood can change by the inch due to chemical properties. You have achieved color contrast an interesting design element. Obviously, Tung Oil has no UV protection and will darken with age eventually.

Don’t worry be happy, outstanding piece!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 AM

View qbilder's Photo Album My Photos
Looks to me like you simply cut into a sapwood area.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 PM

View sffone's Photo Album My Photos
A nice job of turning, though! A very pleasing shape.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode