Delta Midi Lathe Problems - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
Delta Midi Lathe Problems

I have a delta midi lathe that is about 2 years old and the belt is shot. I have gone threw 3 or 4 belts in 2 years and dont know why. I dont over tighten the belt. I normaly dont move the tension ajustment lever. The belt keeps twisting up and coming off the bottom pulley. Any one know why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe16 View Post
I have a delta midi lathe that is about 2 years old and the belt is shot. I have gone threw 3 or 4 belts in 2 years and dont know why. I dont over tighten the belt. I normaly dont move the tension ajustment lever. The belt keeps twisting up and coming off the bottom pulley. Any one know why?
First off more info is needed to offer advice especially good or helpful advice. Pictures can offer good insight into the problem because someone may see something that you didn't notice.

Model number?
Pictures also please.

I'm thinking alignment of the pulley's is off and if the belt twist off a pulley the tension is probably not tight enough. Just guessing but it's a starting point until we get the model number and pictures.

I have the Delta 46-460 and have never had a problem.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM
No Longer Here

You know if you bought the Delta new it should have a warranty. Mine came with a 5 year warranty. If there is a known problem they would know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

I have the Delta LA-200. The drive belt with last a few months then the edges start to frey then the string inside the belt breaks so it streches out. Then when im turing and apply a decent force to the wood the belt twists and comes off the wheels. It feels like the lathe has no power the wood stops turning but the motor keeps spinning. The belt comes off the wheels constantly. The belt also flips around so groves are facing away from the pulleys. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?
post #5 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the large pic just click on it. It gets smaller
post #6 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 01:39 PM
No Longer Here

It sounds like a stretched or loose belt which you stated is what happens after the edges fray. The problem seems to start with the fraying and could be pulley alignment or the belt type itself. Again pictures of the belt on the pulley's may help.

What type of belt? have you tried an aftermarket belt for it?
post #7 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I havent tried any other type of belt. I ordered these right from Delta. I will check the pullet allignment. Thanks
post #8 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 PM

View robbiethewood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
hi i had this problem a few year back different lathe
it turn out the grub screw came loose on the fly wheel so the two fly wheels where not lining up so the belt where heating up and twisting
post #9 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

I called Delta's technical service today. They were helpful but I have to take my lathe to a service center near my house. They said the pulleys could be bad.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Delta Midi Lathe Problems

I had that problem on my Ricon and went thru two belts before I found the problem.I checked what I thought was everything,then noticed that the motor was a little loose and found that the bolt that actually holds it to the lathe had come loose.Tightened it up and no more problems

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #11 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

I never thought of that. I will check that tomorrow. Thanks
post #12 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 AM

View joek30296's Photo Album My Photos
BigJoe,
Please keep us posted on your progress. I have the Delta 46-250, which I believe is the same as your LA-200. I've been having the same issue but haven't come up with what's causing it.

Joe

"If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong!"
post #13 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Well i took my lathe to the local Delta service center and they said it will be atleast a week for them to look at it. My lathe was discontiued in 2008 even though i bought it in 2010. They said they cant get parts for anymore and it has a 2 year limited warrenty.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 PM

View Woodenhorse's Photo Album My Photos
They can't get parts? It seems to me that manufacturers are required by law to have parts available for a minimum of 5 years after discontinuation. But I could be mistaken, at least that's what I was always told.

Those who say it cannot be done should stay out of the way of the people doing it.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 06:08 PM

View robbiethewood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Well i took my lathe to the local Delta service center and they said it will be atleast a week for them to look at it. My lathe was discontiued in 2008 even though i bought it in 2010. They said they cant get parts for anymore and it has a 2 year limited warrenty.
1 its still under warranty OK

2 if they need parts they still can be made

3 how do they know what parts they need and they haven't looked at the lathe

4 if they cant fix it then replace it
don't be worried its not your fault its theirs
all the best
rob
post #16 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

The women at the store looked it up on her computer. She couldnt tell me what was wrong with it and she couldnt tell me if the pulleys or what ever is wrong with it will be covered under the worrenty. My dad said well if they cant get parts then they will have to give me a new lathe. I dont know about that but I would like the new model lathe.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-09-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Just and update on this. The man at the repair store said he can't even look at it with out the belt so he order them but there on back order so it's been 2 weeks and nothing has happened. He dosent know when there coming in so I'm out of luck.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-09-2012, 06:07 PM

View PhilipCollier's Photo Album My Photos
I order my belts from ereplacementparts.com for my LA200. takes about 8 days to get them normally for me.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 AM

View woodtick greg's Photo Album My Photos
I keep hearing the same thing over and over about delta, they were bought out and since, their service and parts availabilty just stinks. I have had problems myself trying to get parts. I'm done with delta, if I can't get parts for my tools then that's a big problem! I for one will never buy another delta tool, and there's three in my shop, they will be replaced with another brand that I can get parts for, Grrrr.

clinton township, mi. without wood their is no woodworking, mill it.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-10-2012, 08:42 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
A while back, a Delta rep named Paul Fitz ( [email protected] ) came on here and promised everyone that Delta was working on their parts problems.

Haven't heard a peep from him since......Delta was bought out and I still don't see any change in their lousy parts availability.

Learning more about tools everyday
The Following User Says Thank You to tcleve4911 For This Useful Post:
woodtick greg (03-10-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode