Delta 46-460 Problem - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

View Jesus Saves!'s Photo Album My Photos
Delta 46-460 Problem

My lathe has quit going in forward. Reverse is working fine. Anyone know of what might be the problem.

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Have you checked the reversing switch to see if it's still making contact in the forward position?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 AM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
wadaya mean quit? you flip a switch and it hums, it's silent, it was going forward and then there was this hideous sound of metal grinding on metal followed by a pop and sparks?
EDIT: this thread indicates it might be a switch problem.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/d...unction-29415/

Insert witty signature line here.

Last edited by joesbucketorust; 02-12-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added some info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-12-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Here is a post from another thread. Mine is doing this same thing, but it will work in reverse and not forward.

Bought mine back in February this year. The other day I was using it at the lowest possible speed to finish a bowl. I stopped the lathe to reverse it, switched it on and it didn't run. Turned it off, then back on and again nothing. Then when I switched it back to fwd, it jogged the motor real quick (with the switch in the off position), but when I switched it back on it ran fine. Went to reverse, nothing. Switched it back to fwd and it did it again.
Later that evening, I tried it all again and everything functioned normally. I thought maybe it was because maybe it got hot??? I didn't notice any heat anywhere? But I went to finish another bowl and it did the same thing all over again. I put the belt back onto the third pulley and it works fine now?

Has anyone here had this problem? I read about some speed controll issues. But nothing like this.

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
post #5 of 8 Old 02-12-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Haven't checked anything. I was afraid to void the warranty.

post #6 of 8 Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

I vaccumed it off and turned the switch a few times and it started working. Not sure the problem, but it's working for now. Thanks for the replies.

post #7 of 8 Old 02-12-2012, 01:31 PM

View Murphy's Law's Photo Album My Photos
I had a similar situation a few years ago. Being the kind of guy that I am, I took the reversing switch all apart and found that there were two locations where metal-on-metal movement parts needed lubrication. When I switched it back and forth it was sluggish sometimes and sort of hung up halfway through the switching movement. I carefully applied some graphite to all metal-on-metal parts and it has worked flawlessly for about 4 or 5 years now.

Caution #1 . . . there are springs that will jump across the shop if you're not very careful.
Caution #2 . . . graphite is a conductor so use it sparingly in electrical equipment.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
i got in a hurry a few months back and switched my lathe to reverse before it had completly stopped and it was stuck in reverse to a few min
i kept fiddling with it and it went back to normal
i knew what i did when i did it no from then on i always wait till its completly stopped before switching
hope this might help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode