Delta 46-460? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
dmh

View dmh's Photo Album My Photos
Delta 46-460?

OK seeing all the cool things that everyone is doing with their lathes has me wanting to give turning a shot. My turning experience equates to probably about five or ten minutes worth of making a square stick a round one in shop class some 25+ years ago.

I think I’ve boiled down my lathe choices to the delta 46-460. You guys that have one, are you happy with it? Anything you don’t like about it? If you had it to do over again would you buy something else (maybe bigger)?

From everything I’ve read people seem to love these things and adding the cost of a chuck and chisels it’s within my budget.

Just wanted to get you guy’s opinions since you are the ones getting me into this.

Also any opinions on the Nova G3D chuck to go along with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
i bought mine last winter and yea i love it.i wish it was heavier but you pay for what you get,i got mine on sale for 450 bucks at woodcraft. so it was a great deal i thought
post #3 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 PM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
I love mine!

Its a great lathe! I don't really like the tool Banjo, (it gets sticky) but a little wax and it slides nicely. I also splurged and got the nova chuck as well. If you do get that lathe and chuck, make sure the insert you get isn't an aftermarket.
Make sure your set up for sharpening and if I were you I would get a set of Harbor freight red handle tools. Those are cheap enough to practice with and I think they work fine.

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
dmh

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert421960 View Post
i bought mine last winter and yea i love it.i wish it was heavier but you pay for what you get,i got mine on sale for 450 bucks at woodcraft. so it was a great deal i thought
450? Wow, that's alot cheaper than what i was figuring. I was looking at $599 on amazon. Wonder if it would be worth it to hold off till the holiday season kicks in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksqueegie View Post
Its a great lathe! I don't really like the tool Banjo, (it gets sticky) but a little wax and it slides nicely. I also splurged and got the nova chuck as well. If you do get that lathe and chuck, make sure the insert you get isn't an aftermarket.
Make sure your set up for sharpening and if I were you I would get a set of Harbor freight red handle tools. Those are cheap enough to practice with and I think they work fine.
The insert, what is it, a threaded adapter? I read somewhere something about that. I was under the impression that the G3D threaded straight on the shaft without the adapter. That was one of the reasons i was leaning towards that chuck. Not having to mess with adapters. Or am i worrying about things I shouldn't?

Yea i was planing on picking up a set of the HF chisels. But sharpening brings up a couple more questions. I have a six inch (or eight, something like that) bench grinder that I was just planning on swaping out one of the stones on for a finer grit. That would work right? What grit stone do I need?

I appreciate the help. Like I said i am pretty much clueless on this woodturning thing.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I turn on a Powermatic with 20" swing and 2hp. I was uprgading my mini lathes so I looked long and hard at all available. I decided on a the Delta 46-460. It works superb. It only needs a few minor mods to be exceptional. I will put a larger rectangular locking plate under the tailstock. It locks well enough for most people now but I'm kinda picky and used to a heavy duty lathe.
The variable speed works well. I has plenty of power for most people and you can get a bed extension if you want to turn longer work.
About the only complaint if it was my only lathe would be the limited swing. However 90 percent of all I turn is under 12" so it should do fine.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 PM

It does require a threaded insert. I don't think its a big deal though.

As far as sharpening I currently use a 6" wheel, as it does work. I really should be using an 8" swapping out the stone should work fine.

If I'm not mistaken, I think you should have a 60 and a 120 grit. If you currently have a 6" grinder, upgrade to 8" when you can.

post #7 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Yea i got wood

Quote:
It does require a threaded insert. I don't think its a big deal though.
for what?
i dont use any kind of threaded insert so im a little confused here
post #8 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert421960 View Post
for what?
i dont use any kind of threaded insert so im a little confused here

To use the nova chuck, it requires a 1"-8 "D" insert.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/nova-chuck-26623/

http://www.teknatool.com/products/La...aptor_page.htm

Last edited by slicksqueegie; 09-21-2011 at 08:38 PM.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Yea i got wood

ok thanks and sorry for not knowing
post #10 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 09:10 PM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 46-460 and love everything about it. Only thing about mine is about 6 months after I bought it my shop burnt and the 46-460 doesn't look as new anymore but it went through the fire and still works as good as it ever did. It might be discolored but it is a good workhorse. If you get one you will love it too.
post #11 of 22 Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 PM

Here is mine after the fire. It took alot of work to get it clean because of all the rust from the water but it was worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0912101915.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	29049  

Name:	0912101915a.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	29050  

Name:	0912101916.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	29051  

post #12 of 22 Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I got mine last Dec. I like having the variable speed control and reverse. The speed range is good too. I may step up to a larger swing someday but 12.5" rarely limits me and the price point climbs pretty quickly from here. I figured I'd give myself some time to settle into the kind of turning I enjoy most then make the jump if I need to.
I built a stand which is basically a 2x6 stud wall a couple inches longer than the bed and filled it with concrete to add mass. It allows me to stand at the end which is nice for bowls and hollowing.

I usually find something I like better right after I make a purchase like this, but so far no regrets. BTW I paid retail (599) minus 10% for the whole purchase at Woodcraft. I guess I'm too impatient to get the good deals.

I got the nova midi chuck which is a great buy with 2 sets of jaws. No insert required for this one. Works fine for smaller stuff but I tend to use the faceplate with glue blocks for bowls and hollow forms.
post #13 of 22 Old 09-22-2011, 11:06 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
I love mine. Well if I had one complaint it would be the tool rest. But I have other s to use.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-22-2011, 12:40 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I would think the G3 should work well for your needs as it meets or exceeds the size of items you can turn.
I would go with the insert (threaded adapter) type just in case you ever want a larger lathe. I have 4 Novas and they all work great. You only have to “mess” with the insert once.
As far as the grinder, I would stay with what you have for now. You do want the white (friable) wheel in about 100 grit.
I use my 6” grinding table I built in the 80’s. Yes you do get a slightly deeper hollow (in the 100ths?) but to me the bigger advantage of going to 8” would be that it last longer before you have to trash it.
Assuming you do not have one, I think money would be better spent on a grinding jig rather than a new grinder.
You also have to add a faceshield…..sanding & finishing supplies….

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #15 of 22 Old 09-23-2011, 04:10 PM

View New Yankee's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Here's one that is made for the Delta, no insert required.
http://www.tools-plus.com/delta-46-461.html

Specifications:
  • 1" X 8tpi Thread Mount (direct threaded body for 1"x8tpi, does not use anyinsert
  • Locking screw for mounting on reversible Lathes
  • The -D refers to this chuck being packaged for Delta

Last edited by New Yankee; 09-23-2011 at 04:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to New Yankee For This Useful Post:
slicksqueegie (10-04-2011)
post #16 of 22 Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
dmh

Guys thanks again for all the feedback, advice, and help. For starting out It doesn’t look like I can go wrong with the delta. It will probably be another two weeks or so before I can order it but in the meantime I’ll be doing a lot of reading and chomping at the bit.

Thanks again!
post #17 of 22 Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 PM

View prestonbill's Photo Album My Photos
I've had mine for about 6 months and haven't regretted it at all. Of course about a month after I bought it there was one on Craigslist for 400 but that's life. I would probably been gone anyway. I have the G3 chuck and the super nova. It's a nice machine that I will have for a long time.
post #18 of 22 Old 10-04-2011, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
dmh

A little fallow up...

I got my lathe last Friday. The thing was spot on right out of the box. It was kind of strange to just pull something out of the box and it be ready to go without needing any adjustments. I just pulled it out of the box, set it on the bench, put in the centers, checked the alignment and stood back and wondered (thought) is that it? If it wasn’t for the weight and packaging I think it may have taken longer to get the chuck setup than it did the lathe.

I have to say I’m impressed with how quiet and smooth it runs. And the reverse feature I’m using more than I thought I would. It has great power. Probably the biggest piece I’ve turned so far is only about 6 inches or so and it never gave me the feeling of needing more.

The VS is nice! I’m glad I didn’t go with a machine that you had to constantly be messing with the belt for speed changes. I pretty much keep the belt on the middle set of pulley’s for now and It’s nice to be able to just reach up and twist a knob to speed it up or slow it down.

Again, thanks for all the feedback and help. I couldn’t be happier with the lathe!
post #19 of 22 Old 10-04-2011, 06:28 AM

Congrats on the new lathe. Lets see some pics. Now you have a lathe the fun will begin. Chucks,Spindle gouges,Bowl gouges,Bench grinders,Sharpening jigs,Wood to work with,Parting tools,Acessories for the lathe,"Face Shield"(Gotta have one),Safety glasses,Dust collection,Sandpaper,Finishes,thats a few off the top of my head. You should stop by the bank on the way to the store.
Donny
post #20 of 22 Old 10-04-2011, 07:06 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
Well done on your research and purchase.
Now the fun begins.......
Note:
Don't forget to kiss the wifey and tell her how much you love her because she's gonna wonder about you spending so much time with your new friend.......

Learning more about tools everyday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode