post #1 of 6 Old 10-14-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
Decorative spoon on the lathe

Cherry.

80% Lathe, then bandsaw and sander.

Name:  SpoonE.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  51.2 KB

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-14-2015, 11:41 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
not sure what to say....

It's certainly a deviation from your superb cabinetry and furniture builds. Wooden spoons always seem a bit "clunky" to me since the wood portions have to be thicker than ceramic or metal. This one is no exception, so that's my dilemma as to commenting.

What was your intent in this endeavor?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 6 Old 10-15-2015, 05:19 AM

View saculnhoj's Photo Album My Photos
They don't have to be thick. I've turned them quite thin although it depends on what you want to use them for. they are thicker than metal or ceramic of course but then they feel so good to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2015, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
It's certainly a deviation from your superb cabinetry and furniture builds. Wooden spoons always seem a bit "clunky" to me since the wood portions have to be thicker than ceramic or metal. This one is no exception, so that's my dilemma as to commenting.

What was your intent in this endeavor?
Thanks for the complement about the cabinet work Bill. May I assume you don't like wooden spoons for a reason? I also had that problem when I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar as a kid. That wooden spoon sure got my behaviour right and it hurt like hell. But hey, you have to get in sync with the times, nowadays a wooden spoon could get the parents a visit by Welfare.

On a serious note, I offered to do a wooden spoon demo 100% on the lathe at our next turners club meeting, so I am practicing.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.

Last edited by WillemJM; 10-15-2015 at 04:18 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-16-2015, 12:40 AM

View Bill Boehme's Photo Album My Photos
I love wooden spoons because of the retro look and because I am sort of a retro geezer. They can be functional or decorative. My grandpa had some wooden scoops that were used for scooping corn and maize out of the barrel and filling the chickens food troughs. I'm pretty sure that the chickens didn't really care that the scoop was wood or metal, but for me, they bring back memories of a time when life was simpler.

One could ask, "what is the intent in making a wooden bowl?" After all, you can get get plastic and ceramic bowls that are less trouble to maintain. Some questions don't have answers ... and, even for those that do, the answer may not be satisfactory to everybody. Woodturners don't aim to please everybody. Sometimes things that I make don't even please me.

Bill Boehme
My Photo Gallery

Last edited by Bill Boehme; 10-16-2015 at 12:50 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-16-2015, 10:15 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
did you turn it long wise, then cut it in half? did you turn the inside of the bowl or carve that out?

I like the idea of turning one and cutting it in half.

I make spoons by hand shaving - read long time here.

looking for any trick to hog out the concave bowl section of the spoon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode