Curtain Installation - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-26-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

View Mitch Cholewinski's Photo Album My Photos
Curtain Installation

Hi Guys
You might remember I recently posted a picture of an 11" pine vase from a hunk of pine?

I had a couple problems I am going to correct before doing another vase(I hope)

I have several pictures of my installation of a shower curtain I installed around my lathe, but unfortunately you can only post 2 pictures at a time, so I will do that. The rest is easy to imagine, this is no rocket science.

The first picture shows you how I hung the two shower curtain rods. I didn"t want any post on the concrete so I built this inverted stretcher. Both rods feed into a circle I cut out with a forestner bit and fit together like putting a tenon into a mortise. Easily made this and hung on the ceiling. You can see how the rods came together, right on the money.

Second picture is of the entire outside of the installed curtain Length is six feet and width is 5 feet. Entrance is straight thru the five foot side directly in front in the picture. Total cost is $55.22 cents. The wood and 16penny nails, and finishing nails I always have plenty. Time expended, maybe four hours. I'm an old guy and get dizzy on a little step ladder.
Well my friends this takes care of one of the problems I had turning my last vase. As these vases continue to get larger so do the number of problems I encounter, increase. The next one and the most frustrating to me is the next I am going after. This problem has to go down or my learning curve is stopped right here. Vase Wobble of a heavy turning. Believe me, I'm not going to be stopped by no wobble. I will keep you posted.

Well my friends, what do you think? Glad I did this, been putting it off long enough. Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01679.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	2414  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01677.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	2415  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
Nice and quite in there mitch, your own little world, i put clear shower curtains in mine, so as i can see if the wife or a mate drops down, don't get to jump out of my skin when the wife comes down quite, and im in my own little world. But one of the best things i done in the workshop, and when you turn dry stuff it can shower the whole workshop at times.
If anyone does not want to go to the bother as mitch and myself and some others just get some plastic sheet and temp clip it up, see the difference it makes to clean up, even if you have extraction, and anyone that does not have extraction then its a must. And do your selfs some good and at least use a small vac when you sand, the dust will not do you any good....Nice job Mitch..LB..
post #3 of 7 Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

little b
Thanks mate. I thought of clear plastic or white and the white that will reflect light better won out in my mind.No one is going to make me jump out of my pants by talking to me. My hearing is so far gone I can't hear with two hearing aids. I need the light though.When I turn the curtain in the front left, near the headstock will never be completely closed, all the chips and such goes to the opposite, rear corner.Thanks for the suggestion and now it is back to making the drawers for my cabinet that my radial saw will sit on. I have the portable wheels bottom made and the carcass made already now just need to finish. It's a little ironic b, I have all the PC 24"jigs made for making dovetails and Freuds table saw blade for making finger joints and I am not making dovetails. Feel guilty. Made so many of them dovetails, I kind of lost interest. Would rather turn the knobs for drawers now. Thanks again mate. I am later on going to make one of them steady rests. How about an e-mail to me of a picture you made for yourself if you did. Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-26-2008, 08:57 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Mitch That's great. I really need to do that. I'm still trying to decide what to get. I thought clear because I need the sunlight but during the summer but I'm afraid it will get hot. I'm thinking I might try some bamboo curtains or some other window type curtain that will let the air through but keep the bigger chips from flying all over the shop.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-27-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

John
Thanks John I was thinking about the heat also. When I turn the curtain by the head stock will never be more than half closed .All the debris gets thrown back towards the other wall. If it gets too hot, I can open both curtains all the way together towards the sliding post I made to hold the thing up.
I saw the jig you made for drilling your mirrors John. Wonderful job.
Wanted to tell you something John. On another forum a guy asked if anyone ever knew what happened to John Lucas from that forum. I said I know a guy named John Lucas but said no more. He then later said the guy might be 80 years od,so, I thought it could be your dad, since you spoke of your dad a couple times. Said the guy worked for a tool company I think. Was wondering if you might know him? Last name is Clark.
One more thing John. You know any plans for making a lathe steady rest. I turned that big vase and had trouble with wobble. I turned about 8 vases and this is the first time it was so bad.What can you tell me about making a steadyrest? Soon as I finish making this next set of large drawers I need to get on the rest. Hope you don't mind my asking? Mitch
post #6 of 7 Old 02-27-2008, 08:01 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Mitch There are John Lucas's all over the place. I still have problems with PayPal because my name is too common. My Dad is James Lucas and didn't start woodworking until he retired. He sold electrical outlets all his life.
Do a google search of steady rests. There are at least 3 or 4 different styles that come up. I built one from a pair of Inline skates that bought from Goodwill for $3. There was a post on one of the messageboards about this just recently. When I get to work I'll try to look it up for you. I think it was the AAW turning group.
Try this http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=4534
post #7 of 7 Old 03-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
John L have you ever been in the woodshop at the university there in Cookeville?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode