Cupcake save - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Cupcake save

I was turning another cupcake when I something must have slipped. I ended up making the grooves too deep and cut through into the theads for the lid. Bummer. I cut that portion off, hollowed out the inside, then cut the bottom off. I made cocobolo routed inserts for the top and bottom and then turned a finial out of Osage Orange. I'll never get my money out of this ornament but it was fun to make.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45-degree-routning.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	71071  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
I'll never get my money out of this ornament but it was fun to make.

Great recovery - it looks wonderful

You seem to be getting a lot of mileage from your router jig(s) lately. I bought the simple one from PennState, so far I've only made one practice piece, a fluted column. Seems that my 90 degree V router bit doesn't cut a square corner down in the bottom of the groove, which means I can't really use it for what I was hoping (making fancy pen blanks) but I'll think of something else to do with it

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #3 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

I ran into the same problem. Most 90 degree router bits don't leave a 90 degree corner. I think I found a Freud bit that does. Mounting the router at 45 degrees and using the square end of a straight but works so much better. The cuts are cleaner, especially at the bottom.
You can still use the non square bits to do inlay but you have to cut your inlays to match. Mine was 87 degrees. I did that for a while but decided that it was much easier to just find a way to cut 90 degree grooves so I wouldn't have to keep up with the odd angles on my table saw.
The other way I am doing it is to use a 90 degree metal milling cutter and mounting the router vertically. However they only come in 3/8" shanks so I had to turn it down to 1/4" on my metal lathe to make it work in this router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I ran into the same problem. Most 90 degree router bits don't leave a 90 degree corner. I think I found a Freud bit that does. Mounting the router at 45 degrees and using the square end of a straight but works so much better. The cuts are cleaner, especially at the bottom.
You can still use the non square bits to do inlay but you have to cut your inlays to match. Mine was 87 degrees. I did that for a while but decided that it was much easier to just find a way to cut 90 degree grooves so I wouldn't have to keep up with the odd angles on my table saw.
The other way I am doing it is to use a 90 degree metal milling cutter and mounting the router vertically. However they only come in 3/8" shanks so I had to turn it down to 1/4" on my metal lathe to make it work in this router.
Thanks for the info. I'll talk to the man at the toy store about Freud bits next time, see if he knows which one cuts a sharp V.

I know that eventually I'll want to build additional jigs to hold the router at other angles, but I never seem to get beyond the planning stage before I get distracted by some chunk of wood saying "turn me, turn me ..."

post #5 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

They won't know. I went to Woodcraft and Highland Hardware in Atlanta as was told all 90 degree bits cut 90 degrees. NOT. I tried 5 different ones before going to Woodcraft and using my square to check all they had. Only the Freud was a true 90. They still leave a fuzzy bottom in the groove due to the cutting geometry and how slow the center of the bit is moving. That's why I went to the 45 degree mount of the router and straight bits. The cut is so much cleaner it's not funny and you get a true 90 degree corner (although some bits might not due to the tip geometry but that's an easy thing to check with a square.
I am also using the 45 degree mount now to use my ball cutters. They also left a fuzzy bottom but mounted 45 degrees and cutting with the outer half of the ball you get a nice clean cut.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
They still leave a fuzzy bottom in the groove due to the cutting geometry and how slow the center of the bit is moving.
Of course! A perfectly-on-axis point isn't moving at all.

You talked me into building a 45 degree jig

(Eventually, that is )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode