cool unique pens - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 03-21-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

View jfs477's Photo Album My Photos
cool unique pens

I'm sure some of you have tried this, but figured i'd share anyway. i got enspired to make a pen without the center band, and this is what i came up with: a short fat pen that has three wire burns in it to hide the center shaft (first picture)
second picture of all my pens for the craft show this weekend (more to come) and how much do you think i could get for them, i figured $15 a pop

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Those are pretty snazzy! I'm trying to figure out pricing, too. I've nearly got 30 pens done, and plenty of kits yet to make. About a month till the big to-do at church where I'll be selling stuff for the first time.

I think I'll be pricing them based on how well they were made. My first few had blemishes in the finish, sanding marks, etc. My last few look nearly professional! :D
post #3 of 9 Old 03-22-2009, 10:56 AM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
Those are some nice looking pens. I sell my pens for $15. They are the slimline kits. I also give a lot of them away as gifts. The nice thing is they are cheap to make and people love them because they are homemade.

Dano, I would price your pens at one price and leave it. Most people would not be able to tell which is your first pen and which is your latest pen. It's only people like us that really look hard at work like this and know if there is a blemish, or if something is not done right.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Good call, AZ. My wife thinks that I should charge $30+, but I just don't think people will pay that for a pen made by a nobody. I mean, if I was a big name in the fancy pen business, maybe, but I'm not! ... yet!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-22-2009, 03:03 PM

Dano, The way I look at it if you can make enough from selling a pen to make a couple more you are doing good. I make most of my pen blanks from scrap from other projects, so really I am not paying anything for the wood for a pen. I really enjoy turning, so for me it is more a hobby than a business. If I can make a little $$ while I am having fun it's all good.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM

View capt mark's Photo Album My Photos
Those are beautiful.I want to make some,where do I get the pen kits and the lathe? thanks
post #7 of 9 Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 PM

Mark, The pen kits you can get several places, Penn State Ind., Woodcraft, Craft Supplies, to name a few. The slimline kits are the easiest to make. As far as a lathe goes, any of the places I mentioned you can get one. To start with a mini lathe would be best, after you turn pens you may want to turn other things, and you you want to upgrade your lathe at that point.

post #8 of 9 Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 AM

View dollis's Photo Album My Photos
Talking

Careful getting in to the pen turning! It is like a gateway drug for woodworking. I have made 30+ and still have not sold any, but I am trying. Now I am in the bottle stoppers. Did my first 2 T handle last night. My wife last night asked me to turn a small baseball bat about 12-14" long I am scared to.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM

dollis, There is nothing to be scared of, unless she wants to beat you with it. I have helped my son turn a couple of them, we had a lot of fun with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode