Chuck Spacers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Chuck Spacers

I bought a Nova2 chuck for my Grizzly 462 lathe. If I screw the chuck down as far as it'll go on the spindle, the spindle threads protrude into the chuck just enough that I can't close it all the way (can't get the screw bit for bowls in there). So, I got a couple 1" zinc washers from HD. They space the chuck perfectly, but they aren't perfectly round and I'm concerned that they are causing some vibration.

Is there some rule of thumb about using spacers like this? Should I look for something synthetic like nylon washers to reduce the mass? Should I turn an oak washer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 AM

View CivilEngineer13's Photo Album My Photos
What about screwing a nut on there as a spacer and have no vibration? Or is that too much spacer?

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Fighting the fight.....

View PTownSubbie's Photo Album My Photos
Dano,

I got an email this morning with a nylon chuck washer that is designed to prevent binding of the chuck onto the spindle. Check this out and see if it suits your needs. I am uncertain if it will work for what you desire or not.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...le_washer?Args=

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

I haven't had a sticking problem, but if I do, I'll know where to get those nylon washers! :P I didn't see any indication of how thick those are. I'd need nearly 1/4".

The big problem, no matter which way I go, is that the inside diameter of whatever I use will have to be big enough to clear the threads on the spindle, which makes that same inside diamter too big for the spindle at the base where there are no threads. Getting it centered so it isn't spinning eliptically is where my problem seems to lie.

A giant nut might be a good way to go, if I can find one that fits. :P
post #5 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 08:29 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Is the chuck running true after installing the washers. If they are, just stick with that. The Nylon washers sold by the turning dealers are flat and run true. Chucks need to butt up against the face of the spindle to run true and anything put between these 2 surfaces needs to be accurate. A lot of nuts sometimes have names stamped in one side and may not have 2 surfaces parallel to each other because of this. You might be able to file these off.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 PM

View dustmaker's Photo Album My Photos
I cut a piece of thick wall pvc pipe and use this as a spacer. Cut with miter saw for accurate thickness.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

My zinc washers are definately not flat, and probably throwing everything out of whack.

That's a kewl idea about the pvc pipe, I may try that!
post #8 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 PM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
chuck spacers

I just purchased a new lathe last week and was going to order those nylon spacers but decided to make my own. I purchased a 1 1/4" pvc coupler from Lowes and I will cut it to the thickness I want and then put it behind my chuck. I did this before with my old lathe using a nylon washer from Lowes and it worked fine. This time I couldn't find a 1 1/4" nylon washer. I'm hoping this will work as well. Good luck.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 PM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
chuck spacers

Just an update. I tried the pvc spacer today and it worked okay however, I also used a 1 1/4" rubber "o-ring" and I think I'm going to like this much better for my lathe. You might benefit from using something different on yours. Good luck !
post #10 of 11 Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

oooooh! good call on the o-ring. if I can find one thick enough, that would probably be awesome for uniform thickness, and it might help dampen vibration.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-21-2009, 08:24 PM

View dustmaker's Photo Album My Photos
I have a jet 1442 and the only time I need a spacer is using a faceplate. Some faceplates are ok without a spacer. Large bowl blanks hit the end of the motor. The pvc works for me so i'll keep using it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode