Chuck Size - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Chuck Size

I recently ordered a chuck from Teknatool. I ordered a G3 but they sent me a Super Nova 2. I called them to tell them about the mistake and they basically said, its thier mistake and I can keep this chuck if I prefer. Great! I got a full size chuck and didnt pay full price for it. Well, I have a mini lathe that I dont plan to upgrade anytime soon and I'm worried about having bearing issues with a 5 1/2 pound chuck on it. Does anyone use a full size chuck on a mini? Is it something to worry about? Should I just send this back and get the G3 that I ordered?

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 04:24 PM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
In my opinion that is a lot of weight to spin on a mini lathe. The G3 would be a much better match up.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 04:26 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I like the smaller chucks. Not so much for the weight but for the size. It's hard to work on some small things when the chuck gets in the way. You will find it also starts up slower but I doubt it will have any affect on the bearings. Possibly on the drive belt if it slips trying to drive it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Wow, 2 imediate responces from 2 of our pros!! Thanks guys. I'm gonna call em back and tell em I want the one I ordered.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 05:15 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I would worry about lathe bearings and width of the chuck already explained. Lathe manufacturers make recommendations for their chucks based upon size of lathes and other engineering factors. I would never want more than 4 lb chuck on a mini lathe both size & weight being key factors!

I did not like using my Talon chuck on Jet mini lathe. Had a no-name tommy bar chuck from Packard Woodworks that worked quite well. Gave that chuck and all jaws to guy that bought my mini.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

I called Taknatool again. They again tried to convince me to just keep this one. I told them I didnt want it, I wanted the one I ordered. Thier gonna ship it tomorrow along with a return label for the Super Nova 2.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 05:54 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with everyone that the G3 is more suited to a mini lathe.
That said, and being the devils advocate…
Going to the log weight calculator; a 12” diameter and 1 foot log weighs 32 pounds green.
So split it…. 16 pounds….round the corners off…down to 12 pounds?
Given a concern for bearings maybe it is best to not go over maybe a 6” diameter bowl on a mini lathe?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
NC,
if you are just turning an occasional bigger bowl on a mini, I don't think I would worry. If you wanted to turn big, heavy bowls day in and out, I would opt for a larger lathe. I turned a 24" peppermill on my little jet back when that weighed over 20# at the start. It spun fine, no problems. I used to turn 9" bowls on there occasionally too with no ill effects.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode