Chuck Question? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 11-20-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

View Jesus Saves!'s Photo Album My Photos
Chuck Question?

I posted my setup in another thread. Now, I'm interested in getting a chuck. Not sure what size or any type of adapter I need. Here is the specs. of my lathe. Lord willing, we'll be going to wood craft this Friday. I thought I might be able to take my face plate and they could help me. Any advice would be appreciated. I would rather have a one way I think it is.
Name5 Speed Bench Top Wood LatheSKU65345BrandCentral MachineryNumber Of Speeds5Distance Between Channels18"Headstock TaperMT-2Tailstock TaperMT-1Tailstock Travel2"Swing Over Bed10"Voltage120Amperage7.5Phase1Spindle Size3/4"-16

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-20-2011, 09:51 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
You need to get an insert for the chuckl that matches your spindle, 3/4x16

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 14 Old 11-20-2011, 11:20 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Your instinct is a good one -- take the faceplate that screws onto your lathe drive shaft with you when you go shopping.

Even though the HF spec sheet for that lathe says 3/4" x 16tpi, I have read that it's actually 1" x 8tpi. I was at HF yesterday but didn't look closely at the lathes as I already have one.

Since you have the faceplate, it just makes sense to take it along.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Hal

View Harold Haines's Photo Album My Photos
I make my own faceplates with nuts from my Ace Hardare. I index the nuts with a hacksaw....set them in blocks with epoxy. Then add an attachment plate with tight bond true it on your lathe and add your work piece. When you are finished saw the work free. I don't use chucks.....I don't need one.....I turn segmented bowls 10 " in diameter up to 4" deep.....my lathe has a 1' 8tpi spindle.....the 7/8 are also a commonly available.....
post #5 of 14 Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'm just learning as I go with extra help from others like you all.

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
post #6 of 14 Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
I bought my chuck from PennState, the "Utility" chuck which came with 2 sets of jaws, plus a set of large flate-plate ("Cole") jaws.

The only downside -- and many do not consider it a downside -- is that to tighten the jaws you use a pair of tommy-bars.

When I used the turning club's lathes, I found I prefer the type that uses a single "key" (whether it's a t-handle with gear teeth, like an overgrown drill chuck key, or a simple Allen-wrench hex key). PennState do a couple of those also -- I think the Barracuda2 is like that, but there are many others.

If your spindle is 1" 8tpi, one of the best value single-key chucks is the Delta G3, which is almost identical to one of the Novatek chucks, but the Delta version is both cheaper and doesn't require the purchase of an adapter insert to match it to your lathe. (But it only fits 1" x 8tpi.) I'm thinking of getting one of these for "normal" use and leaving my PennState chuck set up mostly with the Cole jaws. Or one of the PennState chucks with a single key, that will allow me to use jaws interchangeably between the 2 chucks.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe

Last edited by duncsuss; 11-22-2011 at 10:05 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 PM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
In my opinion a 1/2 HP lathe doesn't have enough power to handle a full size chucks weight.
A good choice would be the Nova Midi at about $150.00 plus a 1"X8 to 3/4"X16 adapter.
Another choice would be the Penn state Micro http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC500.html
I have 2 of these along with a Nova Midi and a Nova Super Nova 2, I would be willing to part with one of the Micros for $60.00 shipped in the US.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroChuck.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	32228  

post #8 of 14 Old 11-30-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the offer Whaler. I ended up buying a Super Nova 2 chuck. I didn't realize it was a bigger chuck. I was afraid it might be too big, but the lathe seems to be handling it for now. I haven't turned any large stuff though. I might still be interested in the micro chuck. Does it work similar to the super nova 2. Like I said, I'm new to turning and just learning the basics. Would this be good for bowl turning. Thanks,
Thomas

post #9 of 14 Old 12-01-2011, 07:02 AM

View stevel34's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same lathe as yours and the head and tail stock are MT-2. The spindle is 1"x8TPI. Also if you need parts or an extra belt get them from grizzly. They sell the same lathe item #H8259. Forget trying to get parts from HF.
steve
post #10 of 14 Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Steve, I was thinking about ordering some extra belts. Tell me more about grizzly and how to get in contact with him or his site. I haven't been on here long enough to learn everyone and what they might sell. I apprecaite the info.

post #11 of 14 Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 AM
dmh

View dmh's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Saves! View Post
Steve, I was thinking about ordering some extra belts. Tell me more about grizzly and how to get in contact with him or his site. I haven't been on here long enough to learn everyone and what they might sell. I apprecaite the info.
http://www.grizzly.com/
post #12 of 14 Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 AM

View stevel34's Photo Album My Photos
go to grizzly.com,look up #H8259 wood lathe, then click on the parts list and you will see a view of the parts, the belt is #26 then on page 2 it lists the part #PH8259026. You have to call and order it. I ordered 2 spare belts from HF and waited 4 months still no belts so I ordered the belts from grizzly and had them in 5 days.Then after 6 monthsthe HF belts came in so now I have 4.
steve
post #13 of 14 Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Steve. I ordered 2 belts just in case one happens to break. Thanks again,
Thomas

post #14 of 14 Old 12-10-2011, 09:54 AM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Whaler, check your PM's. I'm interested in that micro chuck if its still available.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode