chuck problem - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

View jeepturner's Photo Album My Photos
chuck problem

I bought a chuck a few months ago from Grizzly tools and the other day i was wroking on a small bowl and i noticed that the check was spinning out of round. I removed the bowl and ran the lathe with just the chuck, the jaws are spinning out of round. Everything is tight, and its only the half of the chuck that the bowls would mount to that is spinning out or round if that makes sense. Any input

Here is a link to the chuck
http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Ja...x-16-TPI/G8783

thanks Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 03:30 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I assume your talking about the chuck jaws being out of round. Is this with them tightened against each other. Grizzly's chucks have a lot more slop when the jaws are loose than my vicmarc chucks. When tight they run true. Check all the screws and make sure the ones holding the jaws on are tight.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Chuck problem

I don't know how much this really effects a chuck,but I was told when I first started turning to make sure the jaws are in the right position.My nova chucks are numbered an you supposed to make sure the numbers on the jaws an the chuck match up. Then before you completly tighten the screws snug the jaws up against each other ,then tighten the screws down tight.Hope this helps.

Ken

Last edited by The woodsman; 05-21-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Fighting the fight.....

View PTownSubbie's Photo Album My Photos
Jason,

I would take the chuck jaws back off and make sure there is nothing lodged under them that would cause them not to close all the way.

Then make sure you hand tighten the screws very loosely. Close the jaws until they just touch and then tighten the screws all the way.

Also, make sure the jaw faces are matched to the correct place on the chuck. They should be match marked.

Hope this helps.

Fred

www.luv2turn.com

Foot: A special device for finding furniture in the dark.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
First take the jaws off and tighten the inner jaws until they touch. They should form an even square or circle depending on how they ground the tips. Then do as mentioned above, put the jaws back on with the screws just a tiny bit loose. Tighten the jaws until they touch and the tighten the screws.
On vicmarc chucks the jaws are numbered but they don't have to go back into the same order. The vicmarc rep told me with CNC machining the jaws match so there isn't any reason to put them in order. They put numbers on the jaws because thier clients were used to that and felt they needed them. I've tried it and mine run true in any position.
My early Nova chuck did recommend putting the jaws in the correct position but that chuck at the time was the least expensive on the market and that was about 10 years ago or so.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
chuck problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
First take the jaws off and tighten the inner jaws until they touch. They should form an even square or circle depending on how they ground the tips. Then do as mentioned above, put the jaws back on with the screws just a tiny bit loose. Tighten the jaws until they touch and the tighten the screws.
On vicmarc chucks the jaws are numbered but they don't have to go back into the same order. The vicmarc rep told me with CNC machining the jaws match so there isn't any reason to put them in order. They put numbers on the jaws because thier clients were used to that and felt they needed them. I've tried it and mine run true in any position.
My early Nova chuck did recommend putting the jaws in the correct position but that chuck at the time was the least expensive on the market and that was about 10 years ago or so.
I got the super nova 2 last yr,not cheap,but was on sale and they still do recomend you do that.
Ken
post #7 of 7 Old 05-22-2009, 12:35 PM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
chuck problem

I'll have to agree with the "Woodsman". I was told that the factory puts the numbers on the jaws for a good reason. Balance ! You have to match the numbers because each jaw will not weigh the same. You can can relate it to putting weights on tires for a smooth ride. But that might not be the case with your chuck. Spin it without the jaws on it and see if it shows a wobble. That's just my unprofessional opinion !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode