Chisel help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-08-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

View 16webb's Photo Album My Photos
Chisel help

Hi, I’m looking to buy some new chisels for turning but I’m struggling to find good quality ones that aren’t too expensive, any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-08-2018, 05:00 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Good isn't cheap

Cheap might make you like turning less, you will spend more time sharpening then turning

I have started using carbide lathe tools, three tools will do just about everything, but I also have some pretty good HSS I use

There is no app for experience
post #3 of 9 Old 09-08-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

View 16webb's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the reply, what would you say the most essential chisels are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I dont do much turning, but the little i do i do with just a 3/8 spindle gouge and a skew chisel. I wouldnt worry about quality too much, just starting out. Avoid absolute bottom-of-the-barrel types, but dont think that you need to spend top-dollar to get something you can use. Theres very little difference between midrange and top of the line, the top of the line will usually have more exotic steels, but that doesnt make them as better as people think.

Personally, im fond of the shopfox brand. They arent world changing, but they get the job done, a good, solid middle of the road brand. Ive never had any trouble with my spindle gouge from them

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
Onefreetexan (09-10-2018)
post #5 of 9 Old 09-09-2018, 11:03 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
The Shop Fox chisels are a good mid range, they do sell them in sets with the most popular chisels.

I have a set of East Wood Tools carbide chisels, they only make 4 styles in different sizes, a part off tool, a round nose, a square nose, and a finishing tool point, it is a long diamond shaped cutting edge

If you are careful and don't damage the cutting surface they are pretty easy to sharpen, just take the inset out of the tool and lap it on a flat diamond card/stone, just a few swirls and they are sharp, then mark one side so you will know which sides have been sharpened. The new inserts have numbers so you can use them but when you sharpen them like I do the numbers get erased

There is no app for experience
post #6 of 9 Old 09-09-2018, 01:06 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16webb View Post
Hi, Iím looking to buy some new chisels for turning but Iím struggling to find good quality ones that arenít too expensive, any advice?
Do you live near an Aldi grocery store in the US? You can get a "Paul Sellers recommended" set of chisels at Aldi for $6.99. This thread talks about it:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/...-aldis-206918/

They just opened an Aldi around the corner from my home. I went there this morning and asked about the chisels. The manager told me that the sale starts Wednesday morning, 12 September 2018, not this morning like the thread above implies.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-09-2018, 03:06 PM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Do you live near an Aldi grocery store in the US? You can get a "Paul Sellers recommended" set of chisels at Aldi for $6.99. This thread talks about it:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/...-aldis-206918/

They just opened an Aldi around the corner from my home. I went there this morning and asked about the chisels. The manager told me that the sale starts Wednesday morning, 12 September 2018, not this morning like the thread above implies.
Those are flat chisels, the OP is asking about turning tools.

You can buy them one at a time as needed, or spring for a set. The Benjamin's Best brand is high speed steel and gets good reviews for the money.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/l...isel-sets.html

Dave in CT, USA
post #8 of 9 Old 09-09-2018, 10:13 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylar View Post
Those are flat chisels, the OP is asking about turning tools. [...]
Doh! My bad. I didn't read the OP's post carefully enough. Apologies to all.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-01-2020, 10:24 AM

View David Nickell's Photo Album My Photos
In searching for Shop Fox and Benjamin's Best turning tools I am finding a very large price range for what looks to be the same sets of tools. Do these brands sell different quality tools, or are they actually the same tools?

I remember an old saying that I think applies both to tools and musical instruments (which are also tools, in the proper hands): Buy cheap and you are happy once and unhappy for a long time; buy quality and you are unhappy once, but happy for a lifetime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode