Chisel handles - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-02-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Chisel handles

Hey guys. I am very interested in turning my own handles for lathe chisels. (especially after seeing the difference in price between one that is handled and one that is not)
Is there is a standard length that the handle should be? (Minimum / Maximum) Should it be made of a certain material? Is there a certain material that should be avoided for making handles? What length do you guys make your handles? Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Chisel handles

Hi Ken,I would say the average size would be 17",but I have seen a lot of turners that do mostly small turnings that have about 10 to 12" handles as they are easier to control.I have some from 10" to 2ft,Hosaluk steel handle for my 3/4 thompson bowl gouge.As for the wood,that again could depend on the tool you are using it with,like small hollowing tools for small HF's about any wood would be OK except the softer woods,like pine.As for the standard tools 17" handles you could use ash,oak maple,walnut just to name a few.Just be sure and get would with pretty straight grain in it and no voids,like knotts as that will give it a weak spot and if your turning something fairly large and get a catch,it could break on you.Hope this helps you out.
Ken
post #3 of 4 Old 05-02-2009, 11:02 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
Not to confuse the matter any , as for length, I copied mine from my sorby bowl gouge which is 14".

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-03-2009, 04:51 AM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
handles

Kenbo,

I make virtually every handle for my tools. The length varies on what the tool is used for. Deep hollowing you need longer handles, so I would be going for long ie 14" + Detail work etc you can go for the short 8"-12" as a long handle here is not required and would only get in the way.

In the end handle length is a personal choice. If your 6'-6" and weigh 200lbs you can probably get away with no handle But on the other hand if your as tall as my wife you had better glue a baseball bat to the chisel

I would suggest you make them long for all hollowing tools, you can always cut the handle down if its too long, too short, well......start again PITA

hughie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode