carbide inserts question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

View Ray Cover's Photo Album My Photos
carbide inserts question

So to have so many questions this week guys. You all have been very helpful and I do appreciate it.

I have one about carbide inserts. I have found that there are wood lathe tools out there that use indexable carbide inserts. Are these the same type of inserts machinist use on metal or are they made different?

Can I take a round and square carbide insert from one of my metal lathe tools and make a handle for it that can be used on Rachel's wood lathe?

Ray

Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving

http://rcoverengraving.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Yes and no. I have seen and even used regular metal cutting carbide cutters. They work. No the ones on the Easywoodtools and Hunter tools are different. Well sorta. The square bits used by EWT are actually wood cutting tools. They are the same cutters used in the spiral cutting heads use in planers. I don't know about the round cutter but it's flat on top.
Many metal cutting bits have a slight dip right behind the cutting edge. Can't say if this helps or hurts for cutting wood. I'll have to try because I do have some.
The Hunter tool cutter is different from the above. It is metal cutting bit but it's used for cutting aluminum. It is round but has a polished recessed top surface. This leaves the cutting edged extremely sharp.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

View Ray Cover's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks John that all makes sense.

I think I will try what I have on hand and see if it works. If not I can try something else.

Ray

Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving

http://rcoverengraving.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I have no experience with the cutters yet but I just purchased these
http://www.pmctool.com/product.php?productID=1080
Well not those Exactly, when I phoned they also carry a “generic”, same carbide made by the same company in Germany but the bottom is flat rather than formed for a particular machine. They were $19 for ten (instead of $29). They also carry screws (5mm) if you do not have access to any.
I also picked up a round cutter while at WT Tools to give it a try.

My bodger table is overflowing so it may be a while before I get around to making them.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode