CA glue in woodturning - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-2011, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

View Arabianwoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
CA glue in woodturning

Hi guys, can I use ca glue to glue segments of a ring.Is it strong enough for woodturning?same question also for hide glue.thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-20-2011, 07:23 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianwoodworker
Hi guys, can I use ca glue to glue segments of a ring.Is it strong enough for woodturning?same question also for hide glue.thanks
Why would you want to use CA glue for that? I would think it would work but unsure someone here can tell you.
I'm not sure what you mean by hide glue. Is that like regular construction adhesive?
Why not use regular yellow wood glue?

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
post #3 of 8 Old 05-20-2011, 08:34 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I've heard that CA glue will eventually fail, always; but it takes like 10 years. I'd use regular woodworking glue.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-20-2011, 08:37 AM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
Titebond II is my glue of choice for segmented turning, has a little bit more of a working period before it sets up, but is very firm when it does set up. I think that CA glue, while it would hold alright for the turning, wouldn't give you that additional alignment time that a wood glue provides.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
ditto on the titebond 11. Ca glue is brittle so a catch of any kind can blow up the vessel. CA glue doesn't move with the wood so joints can fail if you haven't paid close attention to how you glue the wood together and align the grain.
Yellow woodworkers glue is what most segmented woodturners use. It has some slight movement. On long grain to long grain joints it's stronger than the wood. And, it's much less expensive than CA. CA glues only real quality is that it's fast, but fast doesn't mean the best.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-20-2011, 09:38 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
I wish I could remember where I read this, but I saw an article that said CA has poor resistance against shearing forces compared with its longitudinal strength. It can hold stuff together well, but if one piece twists with respect to the other ... not so much.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #7 of 8 Old 05-20-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

View Arabianwoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianwoodworker
Thanks everybody for your advices .
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Old used up Marine

View okiebugg's Photo Album My Photos
Layman's terms

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncsuss View Post
I wish I could remember where I read this, but I saw an article that said CA has poor resistance against shearing forces compared with its longitudinal strength. It can hold stuff together well, but if one piece twists with respect to the other ... not so much.
My .02

You can take a hockey puck and glue it to the floor with super glue(CA) and with a chain or other pulling device and try to pull it loose from the floor....You can't.

Same hockey puck glued to the floor....kick it sideways (lateral shear) and it will break loose. Gluing a segmented bowl is fraught with risk. First, catch a tool and it could come apart. If you are so lucky as to get it finished, don't drop it on the floor for the same reason..... it will probably come apart. I'm speaking from many years of experience in dabbling with CA since it started showing up in the 80's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode