CA glue and cotton/wool hazard - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

View Kirkus's Photo Album My Photos
CA glue and cotton/wool hazard

Due to a different thread that I was reading, I did a little research on CA glue and discovered the following on wikipedia:

Quote:
Applying cyanoacrylate to materials made of cotton or wool (such as cotton swabs, cotton balls, and certain yarns or fabrics) results in a powerful, rapid exothermic reaction. The heat released may cause minor burns, and if enough cyanoacrylate is used, the reaction is capable of igniting the cotton product, as well as releasing irritating vapor in the form of white smoke.

Material Safety Data Sheets for cyanoacrylate instruct users not to wear cotton or wool clothing, especially cotton gloves, when applying or handling cyanoacrylates.
I've notice the white smoke and heat coming off of the paper towels that I've used in applying the CA glue to pens.

Is this common knowledge and I'm just late to the party? I wonder what kind of hazards this could create?

Gakkuri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 09:49 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Been there done that. I have burned my fingers using certain materials to apply CA. Mostly cotton T shirts. Bounty paper towels and other paper towels can burn your fingers also.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 09:51 PM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, it does create smoke and heat. I use a metal coffee can when i am making pens to put my paper towel in after the CA glue. Never throw them in the garbage can with shavings or anything that might catch fire. I've never had any problems but the coffee can works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

View Kirkus's Photo Album My Photos
So I guess I'm late to the party. LOL.

I've been gathering them up with other trash at the end of a turning session and tossing them right into the garbage. I keep a can filled half with water that I put rags and brushes in that have been used for chemical finishes and paints. The Bounty paper towels will start getting the same treatment.

Gakkuri
post #5 of 6 Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 AM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
It also puts off a noxious gas when you apply it to coffee grinds when filling in a crack in a bowl. I think I burned a few nose hairs on that one.

Tim
post #6 of 6 Old 04-12-2011, 05:36 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Could not find the link other day responding in another thread. Monty has good prices on CA Glues and other glues.

If like me have to order CA glue might check out prices. I have scaled back on my use of CA glue because of sensitivity to the stuff.

Monty backs up his products and has outstanding feedback from folks at IAP and other forums.

http://woodenwonderstx.com/ZC_WoodenWonders/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=d9e47e8243 2fbecbfd8e3833f0fcb552

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode