CA Glue - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

View CivilEngineer13's Photo Album My Photos
CA Glue

Do CA glue sit well on the shelf? ...Or maybe better stated, how is CA's shelf life. I was thinking about getting the 8oz bottles.

Also, which ones do I need most for pens? Just some thin and medium? do you use the thick CA much?

Oh, and I was planning to use it for gluing in tubes mainly and maybe some finishing.

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 AM

View Garmar's Photo Album My Photos
Just keep it away from heat and moisture - a cool place out of direct sunlight. Supposedly you can store it in the freezer to extend shelf life, but I've never done it.

A good quality CA should last about a year if stored properly.

I would use a thicker one for finishing and thin for the tubes. Just my opinion of course.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-09-2009, 06:34 AM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
Agree with Garmar keep away from heat and moisture. a woodturning club member buys 16oz bottles and store them in a small refrigerator at 40 degrees and it will extend shelf life for years. he uses small 1oz at a time for turning. but cold glue is slower to set and works great if you need to glue in a logo into a finial or clip (hut products for logos).

I use thick ca to glue for my tubes so if there a gap between my blank and tube, its fill up with glue for a strong hold. medium ca i use for my finishes, center bands and logos. thin ca for cracks, filling, repairs or for stabilizing blanks as I turn them if need, like black palm and so on. Just the way I use ca for pens.

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-09-2009, 12:31 PM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
CA Glue

I've kept two bottles in the frig for about eight months and I used some the other day and it is as good as the day it was purchased. No problems.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 PM

View Woodwacker Jeff's Photo Album My Photos
CA glue

Use thick CA glue to hold the brass tubes in the blanks. I use medium CA glue mixed with sawdust to fill any voids and to stabilize cracks. When finishing pens I will use a small amount of thin CA glue on the blank before I put any other finish on. This seals the wood. If you do this don't hold onto the paper towel very long - don't ask how I know this. I keep a trash can right by the lathe, cut cheap paper towels in strips, wipe on the thin CA very quickly and drop the paper towel in the trash can.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-19-2009, 09:12 PM

View David Drickhamer's Photo Album My Photos
CA does have a shelf life. After opened I find it lasts about a year. Once opened it doesn't matter if it's capped or not since CA cures in the absence of oxygen. Unopened it can be stored in the freezer.

I use thin for filling small cracks stabilizing pen blanks and medium for everything else.

Dave
post #7 of 7 Old 04-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
CA Glue

I just got back up from FL to NC and just thru two 16 OZ bottles in the trash.They had been setting here for about 6 months and were hard as a rock.I had been using out of them since last yr,but the were over half full.Won't buy the 16 oz again.RATS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode