ca finish - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

View jballs918's Photo Album My Photos
ca finish

ok i have been turning and been messing wit hthis stuff a bit. i havent nailed it down so i have a question. when you apply the ca do you put it on the wood then spin it or do you put it on the rag and apply while spinning. also how long do you use the rag. is it just a quick swipe or do you buff it out until it is dry. please any input on this would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-31-2010, 11:36 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballs918 View Post
ok i have been turning and been messing wit hthis stuff a bit. i havent nailed it down so i have a question. when you apply the ca do you put it on the wood then spin it or do you put it on the rag and apply while spinning. also how long do you use the rag. is it just a quick swipe or do you buff it out until it is dry. please any input on this would be great.
In the search box above type "CA Glue finishing" and scrowl down to CA Glue finishing you will find your answer.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 03:48 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballs918 View Post
I do a ca finish on pens. First I seal the ends of the blank with thin ca dripped onto a paper towel. Twist each end into ca soaked paper towel flat on table. Then mount blank back on lathe. I fold up a paper towel in half lengthwise 3 times. Lathe is spinning on slower speed (1240rpm on my jet 1220). I seal the ends of the blank with thin ca dripped onto a paper towel. Squeeze a small puddle of medium ca on paper towel & swipe blank going back & forth a couple of times only. Cut off end of towel with ca on it & use same procedure for about 6 coats. Use scissors to cut off each piece & you can get all coats from one length of paper towel.

Then start wet sanding with 600grit. Then the micro mesh to 12000 grit stopping lathe to sand lengthwise with grain on each grit. I use a spray bottle to wet sandpaper. I use a little plastic polish at a higher speed when sanding is done. When applying CA do not wipe till dry. Just a couple of quik swipes back & forth is all you need per coat. I do not use the BLO/CA method, just medium CA glue. My pens have a high gloss shine when finished with no sanding scratches. Remember to use safety glasses & keep some acetone handy in case you glue yourself together.

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!

Last edited by jlord; 02-01-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 PM

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
There is a steep learning curve for the CA finish. You'll get 10 different answers on how to do it and they are all correct. You can have to play with it and find the best one for you.

I personally have found the best to be with a medium CA/BLO method. I always do it with the blank spinning on the lowest speed my Midi lathe can go. There is a nice video out there somewhere that does a good job showing it.

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
post #5 of 5 Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 PM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Check out youtube and you can find alot of demo's on BLO/CA finish.,or anything you need to know about woodworking/woodturning.Just type something in and you can watch videos all day.It's habbit forming to me.I have learned alot too.
Donny
The Following User Says Thank You to don716 For This Useful Post:
Davids (08-11-2010)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode