CA and BLO - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 02-06-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
CA and BLO

I just started finishing my pens with the CA and BLO method that's all over the net. I watched several videos of it. No one is wearing a mask. I know the finish cures ultra fast, but it emits something that makes peeling onions sound fun. You guys that use this know what I mean. What are the dangers you know of with this finish? Do you wear a respirator when you do it? Thanks for any input!

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I don't use that finish for just that reason. Anything that smells that bad and makes your eyes sting that bad can't be healthy. But after reading your post I googled CA toxicity and this seems to be the majority opinion:

Are cyanoacrylates or their fumes toxic?
CA PLUS cyanoacrylate adhesives are not toxic. The fumes from cyanoacrylate adhesives can vaporize and do irritate sensitive membranes like eyes, nose and throat. When these fumes come in contact with moist surfaces they are immediately polymerized and become inert. They do not penetrate into human tissue. Some cyanoacrylates are used in place of sutures and the cured adhesive usually falls off in a matter of days. There are many applications where cyanoacrylates have been used to graft skin, bond bone and cartilage, repair eye tissue, close blood vessels and stop spinal fluid leaks. Cyanoacrylate fumes are also used by police and investigative departments around the world to locate and identify fingerprints. A small percentage of the population can become sensitized to cyanoacrylates/fumes after repeated exposure (like cat hair or anything else). These sensitized people can develop flu-like symptoms but removing them from the exposure will eliminate the symptoms. Cyanoacrylates or their fumes are not carcinogenic and cyanoacrylates are not made from cyanide.
The Following User Says Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
ACP (02-07-2011)
post #3 of 14 Old 02-06-2011, 02:53 AM

View designer-fixit's Photo Album My Photos
i dont know what the actual dangers are but i know it smell like total crapola.....use the mask.....my boss says he feels like his nose hairs are singing off and his eyes feel like there melting off his face not fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-06-2011, 12:21 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Why don't you use your dust collection to remove the smell? If you notice in one of the videos he has a dust collection hose removing the fumes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Willing For This Useful Post:
ACP (02-07-2011)
post #5 of 14 Old 02-06-2011, 11:02 PM

View TurninandBurin's Photo Album My Photos
CA finishes are the best. They are the fastest, smoothest and easiest to apply. I used to use BLO, but it adds to much to the process. A quick spray from an accelerator and you are good for the next coat. As far as the fumes, I use a small fan to blow away the fumes and step away between coats for a few seconds.
The Following User Says Thank You to TurninandBurin For This Useful Post:
ACP (02-07-2011)
post #6 of 14 Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I have acquired sensitivity to CA glue fumes that lead to flu like symptoms. I limit my exposure by not using it so much. I make sure plenty of ventilation (airflow) if going to use CA glue for any reason. Stopped using it for pen blank glue up, prefer epoxy. I have used CA as a sanding sealer and mixed with shaving dust for repairs on spalted pen blanks.

Yes, a CA finish can be fast and easy to apply! Questions about what went wrong applying, fogging after applying or finish cracking during pen use dominate IAP finishing forum. A CA finish cannot escape Murphy’s Law!

Water base Enduro made by General finishes, coming back as an alternative to CA as a finish. Actually, Enduro always had a loyal following in pen turner community.

Yes, pen turners use other water based finishing products too! Usually brands available locally in quart or spray can.
The Following User Says Thank You to wildwood For This Useful Post:
ACP (02-07-2011)
post #7 of 14 Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
Yes, a CA finish can be fast and easy to apply! Questions about what went wrong applying, fogging after applying or finish cracking during pen use dominate IAP finishing forum. A CA finish cannot escape Murphy’s Law!
Not can be, is fast and easy. Fogging occurs with oily wood or if there is moisture under the finish. Denatured alcohol will solve most of the fogging issues. As far as cracking, this usually occurs in softer woods that move with the expansion and contraction of the brass tube.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
We use the BLO/CA combination and either the DC is still running or we turn the fan towards us to relocate the fumes. Love the finish when it's cured!

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #9 of 14 Old 02-10-2011, 05:24 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurninandBurin View Post
Fogging occurs with oily wood...
I primarily turn oily woods (cocobolo, bocote, various rosewoods) and have never experienced any issues with fogging on or under a CA finish. I do not use BLO when applying CA. Excessive activator use, especially when using thin CA, can lead to fogging.

I agree that cracking can definitely usually be attributed to moisture content of the wood.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-10-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I primarily turn oily woods (cocobolo, bocote, various rosewoods) and have never experienced any issues with fogging on or under a CA finish. I do not use BLO when applying CA. Excessive activator use, especially when using thin CA, can lead to fogging.

I agree that cracking can definitely usually be attributed to moisture content of the wood.
I agree excessive activator use can cause fogging and discoloration. That is one thing that I should have said. I only give a light mist and let the blank spin for 10-20 seconds before applying the next coat.

I too have never had any issues with oily wood. I never took the chance and have always wiped down with DA before applying the first coat.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-11-2011, 05:39 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
There is no one CA application technique that covers every application. Going to the Finishing section at the IAP you can learn from others mistakes.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/

Many people have posted their method of applying a CA finish in the IAP Library
CA Finish-Video Tips by Russ Fairfield

CA/BLO Finish by Fred Munday (2004)

CA Finish by Greg Wilson (2004)

CA Finish by Don Ward (2006)

CA As A Wood Hardener, Grain Filler, & Sealer-Video Tips by Russ Fairfield

Google CA finish for pens and get many more approaches on how to apply.

Also would like to direct your attention to Show Off Your Pens section at IAP. Will find both outstanding and really horrible CA finished pens if you look often enough.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-11-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
There is no one CA application technique that covers every application. Going to the Finishing section at the IAP you can learn from others mistakes.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/

Many people have posted their method of applying a CA finish in the IAP Library
CA Finish-Video Tips by Russ Fairfield

CA/BLO Finish by Fred Munday (2004)

CA Finish by Greg Wilson (2004)

CA Finish by Don Ward (2006)

CA As A Wood Hardener, Grain Filler, & Sealer-Video Tips by Russ Fairfield

Google CA finish for pens and get many more approaches on how to apply.

Also would like to direct your attention to Show Off Your Pens section at IAP. Will find both outstanding and really horrible CA finished pens if you look often enough.
I would disagree. I think that there are more than one way to apply. But I have applied CA with accelerator on pretty much every kind of wood and I have even repaired circuit board blanks and built up acrylic blanks with this method.

Also, cool the bold, it is a big turn off.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
Do you wear a respirator when you do it?
Short answer - yes, I wear a respirator (model 3M R6211 from Amazon). It is a combo dust and organic vapor filter.

Before using this, the CA and CA/BLO methods both caused me sinus headaches, stuffed-up nose, and sore throat. Since I started using it, no problems.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #14 of 14 Old 02-12-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I wore my respirator tonight and it was much less irritating. I didn't even notice they eye burn which makes me wonder if it's something in the sinuses causing the eye burn. Thank you everyone for the answers. I know the short answer is wear the respirator when all else fails, but I was curious to the opinions of the veteran turners. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode