Buying a lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 26 Old 11-02-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

View jrflat's Photo Album My Photos
Buying a lathe

I am looking to get into turning and would like to purchase my first lathe. I am interested in turning tall table legs, bowls, and probably candlesticks for my wife and I have been looking around and have see a few full size floor lathes out there for under $1000 but I am wondering which are the better brands. I have been looking at Grizzly, Shop Fox, and Jet. which brands do I stay away from and which do I consider. any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-02-2009, 05:27 PM

View rightuppercut's Photo Album My Photos
Buy a jet
post #3 of 26 Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Short and sweet, just what I needed, anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 11-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Buying a lathe

Under 1000.00 ? take a look at the Nova 1624,I here there going on sale again at woodcraft.I have one and love it,the only drawback is you will have to have the bed extenion for turning long legs,but then you would probably need the extension for the jet also.You won't go wrong with either one.

God Bless all
Ken Ward

Last edited by The woodsman; 11-02-2009 at 05:53 PM.
post #5 of 26 Old 11-02-2009, 06:56 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I agree. The Nova 16/24 is the best buy under $1000. It is a proven lathe, good and solid.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-02-2009, 07:43 PM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
Personally I would go with a jet.

good luck and let us know which way you go.

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
post #7 of 26 Old 11-02-2009, 10:16 PM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
I have owned the Jet 1220 and now the Nova 1624. Both are good lathes but the Nova has more hp, it's larger and is more versatile. The Jets have really gone up in price and for the difference in price I would go with the Nova. Woodcraft puts them on sale occasionally. Oh yes! Did I say I love my Nova? Good luck on a tuff decision.
post #8 of 26 Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Fighting the fight.....

View PTownSubbie's Photo Album My Photos
One more for the Nova 1624. The only one I have owned but it seems to do everything that I would ever want with the exception of Variable Speed.

If you can afford a good lathe with VS, buy that. It is a convenience but a nice convenience to have.....

Fred

www.luv2turn.com

Foot: A special device for finding furniture in the dark.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-03-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your insight, I really appreciate it. It seems like all I have been doing is looking at lathes and lathe reviews online for the last 2 days to see what others think and at this point I think I just need to get back to work. I have found so much online about these different lathes and talked to a few people and I have to say that I feel like my decision is going to upset some of you but I have to say that I am leaning towards the Grizzly G04623. What it is coming down to is price, the Grizzly seems like a lot of tool for the money, $475 right now with free shipping. In addition when compared to the Jet at $749.99 the Grizzly can turn longer stock and has a 2hp motor compared to a 3/4 hp on the Jet. I am by no means a expert woodworker, and this lathe will not get used every day (unless I really fall in love with turning, which I hope I do) so at this point I may just say a few hundred dollars that i can put toward some turning tools and maybe look at the Nova down the road, at almost $1200 that might be something I move up to. What does everyone think, am I making a big mistake?
post #10 of 26 Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 PM
4Woodturning

Grizzly G0462, 2 hp is nice, may not be a bad started lathe, but I have heard of bearing problems on some of their models, maybe they have upgraded them. and your are right you will need turning tools, face shield, and maybe a chuck down the road.. one piece of advise on any lathe you buy with a rotating head, make your self or buy a alignment tool (link below) so you can match up the head and tail stock. also join a local turning club in your area...good luck

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...es-acc-mrstool

Jeff,

post #11 of 26 Old 11-03-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank for the tip Jeff, appreciate it. I will definetly get an alignment tool and I am already looking for a turning club in my area.
post #12 of 26 Old 11-03-2009, 09:27 PM

View Old Skhool's Photo Album My Photos
My advise would be to buy a used Delta or Powermatic with variable speed. I taught woodworking for 15 years at a High School, and had 3 Delta lathes. I never had any of them give any problem being used all day long! I don't even remember replacing a belt. It is very important to buy a quality lathe with heavy duty construction, and beefy cast iron. The weight will greatly quell vibration, and perform entirely different than a hobby style tool. When you buy brands like Delta, or powermatic, you'll never have a problem finding replacement parts, and resale will always be strong. You should be able to sell it for what you bought it for if you buy used, so essentially you get free use of a great tool. They are always easier to sell also. There is not much of a market for cheap used tools. It's expensive to buy twice. With a little looking you should be able to find a good deal. They seem to come up on Craigslist quite often.
post #13 of 26 Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Old Skhool, Thanks for the tip, I considered that but I have not really been able to find many used lathes in or around my area. I was origninally going to go used but all I seem to find was old junk, that is why I was looking new. I will keep looking, I seem to check craigslist daily.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-03-2009, 10:34 PM

View shopsmithtom's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a bizarre idea...although, if you look at my name, you can figure out why. Buy an old Shopsmith model 10er (craigslist is a good source). You can probably get one for $150 or less. They are heavy, cast iron beasts that last forever. Mine is 55 years old. Length capacity is 34". As a bonus, you'll get a pretty good drill press, horizontal borer & great 12" disc sander that all fit in the same space. You can play around really cheap & while you're getting good at turning, you can decide if you ever need to spend more. Just a thought. -SST
post #15 of 26 Old 11-04-2009, 07:31 AM

View Cowdog80's Photo Album My Photos
Start with something inexpensive (used is a good way to go) until you figure out what you like and don't like, strengths are, etc.

Henry Jones II
frightened of the table saws
http://woodworker.com
post #16 of 26 Old 11-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
Probably go with the Jet, Nova seem to have had some quality problems since the move to China, no doubt they will get on top of them.

http://www.teknatool.com/History.htm

hughie
post #17 of 26 Old 11-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Buying a new lathe

I'v had my Nova 1624 for 3 yrs now an know several folks that have them and have had no major problems with them.but my suggestion is to buy the best you can afford.My 1st lathe was the Ricon midi and before I new it ,I was wanting to turn bigger stuff,thus came the Nova,don't get me wrong as I still have the Ricon,which is a great little lathe,but had I know then what I know now,I would have went ahead a gotten a bigger lathe first.If the bucks are aqn issue,then you may want to check out the Ricon as it has a 12" swing an does a pretty decent job.I think its going for about 300.00 right now (not sure) though.Good luck on what ever you choose.

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #18 of 26 Old 11-05-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

So I found a used lathe on Craigslist, according to the seller the brand is Professional Woodworker, 39 1/2 inches on center. Variable speed with belt change. It is $100.00, comes with chisels and the seller states that is was hardley used. Is anyone familiar with this brand? I was thinking I would go look at it, any thoughts?

Here is a link to the site on craigslist
http://appleton.craigslist.org/tls/1452317364.html

Thanks
John
post #19 of 26 Old 11-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrflat View Post
So I found a used lathe on Craigslist, according to the seller the brand is Professional Woodworker, 39 1/2 inches on center. Variable speed with belt change. It is $100.00, comes with chisels and the seller states that is was hardley used. Is anyone familiar with this brand? I was thinking I would go look at it, any thoughts?

Here is a link to the site on craigslist
http://appleton.craigslist.org/tls/1452317364.html

Thanks
John
I don't say this often. AVOID THAT LATHE!

That is the SAME piece of junk that Harbor Freight sells as the Item #45276, it has a LIGHT duty steel rail setup that bends and twists VERY easily. Some folks have gone to extraordinary efforts to make this lathe workable, but it simply is NOT WORTH IT!

A decent quality, inexpensive lathe would be the Central Machinery #34706 unit from Harbor Freight. It uses a cast iron bed system, and is basically a Jet JWL1236 clone with the switch moved to the head stock instead of the leg... They go on sale pretty frequently. I got mine with the extended warranty for under $200.00

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #20 of 26 Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM
4Woodturning

John, I agree with dbhost stay a way from that lathe...but check these out, maybe a road trip..

http://madison.craigslist.org/tls/1452324376.html
or
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/1443435799.html

Jeff,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode