Woodworking Talk banner

Burning my name on bowls.

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  TwelveFoot 
#1 ·
I am looking for something to burn my name on the bottom of the bowls I make. I think some of them have tips that you can write with. I would like something on the cheap side if available.

Thanks, guys.

#2 ·
For a few years I used a cheap soldering iron from Harbor Freight. cost about $3.00 on sale. https://www.harborfreight.com/welding/soldering.html

But a wood burning set can be had for $8.00. Or you can get really fancy and order a branding iron. I have seen them as cheap as $20 for the ones you heat with a torch.

Many years ago, I made my own with a giant spike. I painted the head with white paint and then drew my initials in reverse. I ground the surface of the head away so my initials would be burned in. and added a wooden handle on the other end. Used a dremel to grind away. Took a few hours. to make.

#3 · (Edited)
the pencil type soldering irons come in different wattages.
find the highest watt available and you will be golden.
30 watt is the average. I have seen them in 50, 75, and 100 watt.
grind the sharp tip down to the nub that you want the width of the
lettering to be. PRACTICE on different woods that you may use
before you grind too much of the tip off.
** find a few nails the size of the tip, clip to size, to replace the burning
tip in the iron. 30 watt may not even burn cardboard. so look for a 100w.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
I have found that you can have cheap or you can have good, but not cheap and good at the same time. The soldering iron type can be used with a light dimmer control, but it is a little difficult trying to write with that type of woodburning pen and the tips aren't very good for writing. I started with that type of woodburning pen, but gave it away and spent the money on a decent burner.

I bought a Detail Master which could be used with a wide assortment of different pens. At the time they were the best, but they went out of business after the owner died. I switched to Optima pens from PJL Enterprises and feel like they are the best pens available. They are compatible with my Detail Master control unit so I didn't have the expense of buying a new control unit. Their writing tip is excellent for writing on wood. Here is a sample of my work where I used the Optima writing tip.

Here is a shot of the front of the turning which used pyography (wood burning) to create a coiled basket illusion that I called Tubatulabol Cooking Basket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.