burls. chop it or leave it whole?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 11-07-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

View brown down's Photo Album My Photos
burls. chop it or leave it whole??

i dropped today one of the largest burls i have ever cut. I let this one go for a couple of years, and now do to the gypsy moths the tree is now been dead for about a year. now this burl is on a tree 6-8 in max. I dropped the tree thinking me and my buddy would be able to get it out, but due to its weight, "its heavy as hell" we can't get it out until i get a quad. now heres the question, i am sure i know the answer , should i cut this piece in half or quarters. It measures about 4 feet round and about that high. should i let it dry whole or chop it up now. there are about 5 in the area worth taking down, just wasn't willing to do so without a quad. only about 400 yrds from the fire line, but that would be one heck of a drag. this one in perticular is a white oak. I will post pictures as soon as it is at the house.
thanks jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Burls,chop it or leave it whole

Cut it in as large of pieces that you can manage,then seal them untill your ready to make something,thats when the fun begins figuring out as to what you want to make with them,an hot to cut em for the bowl,vase or whatever.I have a big leaf maple burl that weighs about 50lbs layin in the shop now for 3 yrs an just figured out what I am going to do with it.

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #3 of 5 Old 11-07-2010, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I have been harvesting burls for 3 years now but never one this size. AT a guess, at minimum it weighs 150lbs. me and my buddy are big country boys and love hard work, but this was beyond two grown men getting it out of the woods. this is about the size of all of them. i didn't want to cut it in half, not knowing if i was going to be able to get it out soon, and risk checking or ruining the wood.n I have a cherry burl to drop, 2 oak burls, and 3 maple, one is a giant red maple. I just don't want to cut it in pieces but if feel there is no other way, to first store it, but also to be able to cut it into smaller pieces non the band saw. I really don't want to cut it due to the fact i don't know what is under the bark. I can tell this piece is going to have some gnarly grain. I am running out of room to store it, haha. never thought that would ever cross my mind. I have a ton of wood in the wood shop, in the shed, up in the loft, and above the garage. I don't want to stop cutting since all of it has been for free. i guess it is time to pull some favors, and store it else where!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-07-2010, 11:11 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
I'd slab it into pieces sized a bit bigger than whatever you'll be turning. If you wait on a quartered 150 pound burl to air dry, it'll probably take YEARS AND YEARS. Sounds like a great candidate for a DNA soak so you can get to turning it!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-08-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

The burls i have cut down so far, i let dry for about 1 year before cutting the down to size. that DNA is for working with green wood correct?? how much is that stuff? and how much would i need? are we talking gallons? I almost need a mill to split this in two,. the burls i have cut, were no where near the size of this behemoth. I think another one of my buddies is going to get it out with me on thursday. and I think you are right, if i cut them into larger chunks than what i am used to working with they should be dry within a year or so. It has already been air drying for at least year!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode