Woodworking Talk banner

Burl Preperation

965 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  johnep 
#1 ·
Good Morning... I've been blessed with a friend who is a logger and he saves me the burls he comes across. Most of them are Maple but other species as well. My question is how to properly dry them and then how to cut and prepair them for turning. So far i have cut the two ends about 4" longer than the burl portion and sealed those fresh cut ends with Anchor Seal (wax based liquid). I'm storing them outside but under the roof of my woodshed in northern Michigan. Should I also strip the bark and coat the entire burl? They range in sixe from 8" to 40", how long would you expect they would take to dry. Is there another method I should use? When it comes time to start turning these into bowls do you pre-cut them to use the outside of the bulge as the bottom of the bowl, when the burl has only formed on one side of the tree? Assuming a complete 360 degree burl has formed would you split that into two turnable :clap: projects, if so which way would you cut it... with the tree grain or across it? I know this is a lot to ask and I really appreciate anyone who takes their time to reply !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.