buffing? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

View Jesus Saves!'s Photo Album My Photos
buffing?

Just curious what most of you use for buffing. Several have recommended the beal buffing system. Do you use the lathe attachment. Or the lathe mandral with all 3 wheels on at a time. What works best. I haven't buffed any of the bowls I've made yet and see that it can make a big difference. Thanks

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I use the Beal system. I don't have anything to compare it to but it seems pretty effective to me. I just use the 2MT attachment as opposed to the 3 wheel mandrel. It takes about 30" to change wheels and you can screw in the bowl buffers to get the inside of bowls. It's pretty quick.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 AM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
I use the Beale 3 wheel on lathe system. If you have only one lathe it takes only seconds to install and remove. Now that I have a second lathe the wheels are always mounted and it is more convenient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 AM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
When I do a table top, I use a set of pads with compounds and a variable speed buffer. The pads and compounds are 3M.

On the lathe, I use old pieces cut from the same pads and the same compounds, just spin the piece on the lathe and rub same as sanding.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 11:29 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
I just buff on the lathe at a low speed and with my drill. I picked up a set of buffing wheels with arbors and use them. Seems to work fine but I have not used the expensive buffers so I canít compare. I just use the drill off the lathe to finish up the base.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
dont know if this counts but if you are poor as dirt like me 0000 steel wool actually seems to buff things out really well. I apply with one piece and then use the second to take off any excess. The sheen is fantastic and no marks to speak of if its done on the lathe and with a light even pressure. Im sure the beal system works way better but I worry it wont be able to get inside vases and whatnot so I do this and have been very satisfied with the results. Great fix if youre on a budget
post #7 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond3737 View Post
dont know if this counts but if you are poor as dirt like me 0000 steel wool actually seems to buff things out really well. I apply with one piece and then use the second to take off any excess. The sheen is fantastic and no marks to speak of if its done on the lathe and with a light even pressure. Im sure the beal system works way better but I worry it wont be able to get inside vases and whatnot so I do this and have been very satisfied with the results. Great fix if youre on a budget
is that what you used on your box you made?
its finish is great
post #8 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
I use the beale wheels on a jet 1 1/2hp. stationary grinder. One wheel to the left and the other two to the right. It works very well but regardless which setup you use, you have to learn how to hold on to the pieces. Early on I used to lose a piece once in awhile. They will go flying. You get a feel for where you hold them against the buff and what angles work best.
Mike Hawkins
post #9 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond3737 View Post
dont know if this counts but if you are poor as dirt like me 0000 steel wool actually seems to buff things out really well.
Bond, I do the same thing about 75% of the time. For a little higher luster burnish with dry shavings after the steel wool. I buff with the pads about 10% of the time when I want a high gloss on an item too large for friction polish.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #10 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

View Jesus Saves!'s Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the good information and help. I may start out the cheaper way and see how well I can buff that way.

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode