Brilliantly Stupid - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 12-16-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Brilliantly Stupid

So I was turning this walnut bowl, and the blank that I started with had some minor cracks in it. Once I got it roughed out the way it wanted me to have it, the cracks were a bit more obvious than I anticipated. I started to fill them with some thin CA, but I don't have the CA hardener spray, so I had to wait a while for the tiny puddles to dry all the way.

I'd fill the crack, then leave it to dry for 20 or 30 minutes, then come back and put some more in. I wasted a lot of time on it. Then it struck me. If the CA in the crack is wet, and I rub some fine dust into it, then put more CA on that, it'd fill in faster, dry faster, and probably look a whole lot better. I felt like a genius for a second! Then I felt like a dope , because this is probably what real turners always do.

I thought I'd share my story to see if this is how anyone else does it, or, on the off chance a new turner also didn't know about it, maybe I'd be helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to b00kemdano For This Useful Post:
Scribbler (12-19-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Old used up Marine

View okiebugg's Photo Album My Photos
complicated??????????

I don't want this to sound too technical, but

When I'm turning a particularly nice piece of burl, and see a small crack or two, I almost always fill/line these cracks with Turquoise bits, small nuggets and dust. Line the inside of the bowl with duct tape. start lining the crack with turquoise bits and the medium thickness CA until the crack(s) are filled. Remove the duct tape. The technical part is that the Turquoise is much harder and needs to be worked by hand with a small sander because when working the bowl, the turquoise will rapidly dull your tools. sanding as a unit is impossible because the wood will sand away leaving the Turquoise. It is very satisfying to see a bowl peeking out with these cracks filled with the turquoise. It does take patience.

Turquoise is readily available for much less money than you think. I purchase mine over the phone from a jewelry supply shop in
Santa Fe NM. There are many 'turquoise suppliers' available on the internet. Have questions?? [email protected]
The Following User Says Thank You to okiebugg For This Useful Post:
Scribbler (12-19-2010)
post #3 of 9 Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Real turners don't turn bowls with cracks. :) Just kidding of course. As you turn more you learn more about getting wood that isn't cracked.
When you do get them most turners do fill them with some sort of dust or other material. One of the things I use most for cracks expecially larger ones, is a product called Inlace. It's not cheap but really fun to play with. It comes in different colors and some premixed stone looking colors. They also sell all sorts of fillers, such as turquoise and other stone looking things. These fillers are great to use with CA, epoxy and of course Inlace. You can get them from Woodcraft but I buy mine from www.turtlefeathers.com
The only problem with patching a crack is that you can almost never make it invisible. Consequently what is best it to highlight the crack. Most of the time if it's small I just use epoxy with a colorant. I add India ink to the epoxy.
The Following User Says Thank You to john lucas For This Useful Post:
Scribbler (12-19-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-18-2010, 04:39 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
You might want to wear a latex glove when filling in with CA glue. Don't ask me how I know.

Tim
post #5 of 9 Old 12-18-2010, 07:07 PM

View Ogee Fillet's Photo Album My Photos
C A Accelerator

Baking Soda is sometimes used as an accelerator for c a glue.
I have used it a few times, worked pretty good.

The model airplane guys use it to fill cracks and seams in their projects.

Google Baking soda and c a glue. A lot of info on the www.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-13-2011, 03:53 PM

View RealTurquoise's Photo Album My Photos
This is a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiebugg View Post
I don't want this to sound too technical, but

When I'm turning a particularly nice piece of burl, and see a small crack or two, I almost always fill/line these cracks with Turquoise bits, small nuggets and dust. Line the inside of the bowl with duct tape. start lining the crack with turquoise bits and the medium thickness CA until the crack(s) are filled. Remove the duct tape. The technical part is that the Turquoise is much harder and needs to be worked by hand with a small sander because when working the bowl, the turquoise will rapidly dull your tools. sanding as a unit is impossible because the wood will sand away leaving the Turquoise. It is very satisfying to see a bowl peeking out with these cracks filled with the turquoise. It does take patience.

Turquoise is readily available for much less money than you think. I purchase mine over the phone from a jewelry supply shop in
Santa Fe NM. There are many 'turquoise suppliers' available on the internet. Have questions?? [email protected]
I would love to see some of your products. Do you have any pictures?

Looking for Turquoise Chips for your inlay projects? Check out www.RealTurquoise.com.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM

View mike s's Photo Album My Photos
wont the baking soda stick to the ca and make it dry white?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-17-2011, 03:44 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Dano,
the other thing you can do when filling cracks with ca glue is to start out with the first coat using the thin ca like you did. It runs down in the crack and coats everything. Let it dry for a few minutes, then use the medium ca. It's a bit thicker and will fill in the gap. Let it dry or use the accelerator and you're ready to go.
Mike Hawkins
post #9 of 9 Old 01-17-2011, 07:10 PM

View Dave Pannell's Photo Album My Photos
I too use dust and ca glue to fill any cracks. I'll usually fill the crack with glue, and while it's still wet, I'll cram dust down in there, and repeat till it's built up. And when i'm finishing the bowl, i'll run a small bead of ca on the crack, and then sacrifice a small piece of sandpaper, in order to sand the crack and the surrounding area while the glue is still wet. This seems to really even everything out, and ensures that the crack is filled on top with the same color as the surrounding wood.

Dave

I figured it out the same way as you......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode