Brass, not so fast! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 12-05-2008, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

View Hexhead's Photo Album My Photos
Brass, not so fast!

I'm making some candle holders and I'm looking for a brass cup to go inside the 7/8 hole in the top. I thought no problem right? Wrong!! Can't find them at hobby stores, candle making sites or anywhere else. I have some brass I can machine, but it's cost prohibitive. I tried a half dozens different google with different names for what I'm looking for. I saw one in "Wood turning design mag", but it didn't say where he got them. It's just a small cup that holes the candle and protects the wood HELP!!!

Thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexhead View Post
I'm making some candle holders and I'm looking for a brass cup to go inside the 7/8 hole in the top. I thought no problem right? Wrong!! Can't find them at hobby stores, candle making sites or anywhere else. I have some brass I can machine, but it's cost prohibitive. I tried a half dozens different google with different names for what I'm looking for. I saw one in "Wood turning design mag", but it didn't say where he got them. It's just a small cup that holes the candle and protects the wood HELP!!!

Thanks Guys
Hexhead My grand father used to buy the little brass inset finger pulls from the local hardware store and using the bench grinder, cut the bottoms off. Same kind of pull you would find on a sliding closet door. Small round, and about 3/4 or 7/8 across. They are called Flush mount Pulls or recessed cup pulls.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure

Last edited by Handyman; 12-06-2008 at 01:11 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-06-2008, 01:17 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
If you know of any hardware store that sells Stanley Hardware, you can find them there. The class number is cd40-3506 EDP# 40 3506 size No.3, finish #3, come in a 4 pack.

Collector of Old Tools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-06-2008, 06:16 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Some (most?) of you people have great imagination. I even have some of those brass door pulls in my garage and would have never have thought of that use.

G
post #5 of 10 Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Craft Supplies USA - Woodturners Catalog - Woodworking tools and supplies specializing in woodturning. Part # 041-0444
These are brass cups that can sit on top of the wood or can be inserted into a hole in the wood.

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturners Source pn# 152101 These are insert rings that that have a brass lip. They go in a hole and provide a decorative rim.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-06-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
Craft Supplies USA - Woodturners Catalog - Woodworking tools and supplies specializing in woodturning. Part # 041-0444
These are brass cups that can sit on top of the wood or can be inserted into a hole in the wood.

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturners Source pn# 152101 These are insert rings that that have a brass lip. They go in a hole and provide a decorative rim.

Thanks John. Out of 2ft of shelf space of suppliers catalogs I could not fine what he was looking for. The Packard one was exactly what my grandfather made out of the door pulls.

Collector of Old Tools
post #7 of 10 Old 12-06-2008, 10:26 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I thought that Lee Valley Tools sold them, but I could be wrong.
Ken
post #8 of 10 Old 12-06-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

View Hexhead's Photo Album My Photos
Wow information overload. You guys came through and then some!! I'm hooked here for the long run your a bunch of smartee's. (flowers before your dead) I have contributed a few things on this sight. I hoped it helped them Like you guys helped me.

Thanks again

Ps I didn't check Lee Valley but I will.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-07-2008, 09:21 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexhead View Post
(flowers before your dead)
That would be great! I haven't given my wife flowers in about.....um.......well let's see.....never. I could look like a real hero (or start a bad trend) by giving her the ones that you are going to give me. I think she would like roses.
I love this forum.

Ken
post #10 of 10 Old 12-07-2008, 05:35 PM

View tribalwind's Photo Album My Photos
if you google candle inserts , the first result is bear wood products, they have them for 13 cents each. 29/32"
29/32" Candle Insert(Brass Plated)
also had a bunch of other little things like that. neat site.

other sites i saw have 1/2" and 7/8" sizes....
which makes me wonder What the most typical/popular size is for candles???

(btw, cool script! i just pasted a URL and the page title popped in by itself,nice :) )

lastly..it seems bear has a $25 minimum ,so 'bear' that in mind !

Last edited by tribalwind; 12-07-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode