bracelets of wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-26-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
bracelets of wood

I've been playing with making bracelets. I use a circle cutter in the drill press set at 2 1/8 inch or thereabout, then mount it to the chuck with an inside grip and form the outside. Sand it, put some thin CA on it, wrap tape on the outside, then chuck it on the other chuck with the big jaws and clamp it on the outside so I can round and smooth the insides. Sand and finish on the inside then mount it back on the inside grip chuck ( theres tape on the jaws to cushion the finish) and complete the finishing on the outside. Any rough spots left over can be hand finished.
This one was made from a slab of douglas fir from the scrap bucket.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Since 1994

View Nick Ferry's Photo Album My Photos
pretty cool - i dont think i have seen any wood bracelets before - neat idea

Can I build that? There's only one way to find out.

My Woodworking Videos
post #3 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 11:28 AM
sawdust manufacturer

View txpaulie's Photo Album My Photos
Neat idea, well turned!

I believe one of the other "jewelry turners" here has made some segmented bangles before, but my memory fails me...

p

...ever notice how "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" mean the same thing, unless you are at a funeral..?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 04:22 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice. I was demonstrating at a craft show this weekend with another couple of turners and one wanted to know how to turn bracelets. I showed him how to hollow out the middle and true up the outside. then shape one side of the bracelet. part if off. Then cut a jam chuck on what's left and put the bracelet on and clean up the other side. He ended up making 3 more with that piece of wood.
made out of single piece of wood they are week at the long grain area and could break if the wood isn't fairly thick. I usually a laminate several pieces with the grain oriented 90 or 180 degrees to each other to make this weak grain area stronger.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 03:20 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
Looks good. The ones I have made I turned as John L. described. My wife loved them and has been on me to make some more.

John
post #7 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
I've done it like John described but I was trying out doing it from flat boards, which turns out to be much faster to get done if done right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode