box elder bowl - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
box elder bowl

hey all, finished up this lil bute the other day. Had some questions though about what exactly is going on here. Ok so the stuff was dry (not that I put a moisture meter on it or anything) but light as can be. After turning I noticed that the bowl was thicker on one side than it was on the other My thinking is that this is from the bowl not spinning true or wobbling? My second question is how does one fix this??? I checked the head stock and it seemed ie not wobbling. It may have had to do with the weight of the piece? My lathe is NOT the best. I bring the tailstock up to help balance it when turning the outside but beyond that I dont know how to stop the wobbles. It is odd though that it isnt tearing out or anything like when the wobbles were a problem before... Im stumped on that one
The second thing is that when I woke up this morning the bowl had warped. As far as I know there are only two things that cause this and those are- wasnt dry enough or from heat applied during sanding. Is there anything else that might cause the warp?
Firehawk thanks for the tip about the wax! sanded to 400 didnt have any lacquer so just slapped it right on there. Dont have a buffing system so just applied with 600 and took the rest off with my sweat shirt but you were right SMOOOTH AS GLASS!!!
Anyone still waiting for updates to get this stuff I apologize but Im ADD to begin with and having all this pretty stuff to turn is diiiiistracting!! I went out and got a bunch of- if it fits it ships- boxes today and the blanks are all made up. I believe there is a way to send me a pdf through email that has a shipping label. That way I can just slap it on the box and send em out... Ill pm everyone with the details. Anyway, with no further blather heres some of the yummy stuff. Happy turnin,
Bond
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Oh my ...

I know of one other possibility for warping -- there may have been stresses in the wood.

Maybe it was "reaction wood" -- typically a horizontal limb that grows much thicker underneath than above the pith. It grows under compression, or under tension )if it's cut from the thinner "half" above the pith), or half-and-half if the limb is sliced vertically.

Any one of these might twist and turn as the stresses are relieved by hollowing the bowl.

There are probably other reasons it might happen, that's just one that I read about.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #3 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
i cant wait
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 PM

View Jesus Saves!'s Photo Album My Photos
I really like the color of that box elder.

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
post #5 of 8 Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
I had not considered that it might be compression wood causing warpage, interesting, the wood that this is from was most likely at the bottom of the tree considering the logs were of quite some size but out of the few times that Ive seen curly figure like that it has always been at or near the base of the trees I always thought that curly figure was the same thing as compression would, is that right?

Last edited by bond3737; 01-18-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: confusion
post #6 of 8 Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Looking at stress cracks visible in third picture indicates wood may not have been dry as you thought. Heat build up from dull tool or sanding process can cause them too. Grain orientation or size, mineral content in wood other factors too.

Reaction/compression wood same thing crazy cell structure in wood. Reaction wood occurs in hardwoods, compression wood found in softwoods. Main difference between reaction wood & compression wood is one is on top and other on bottom wood of abnormal growth or damage to tree. Can find reaction/compression wood in stems as well as limbs of trees.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Forgot to say really like your bowl & wood.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-18-2012, 03:33 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Bond,
I think that blank wasn't as dry as you thought. When they warp the next day, it's usually from drying out. I would bet that it was drying and warping some as you were turning. The other thing is when you are turning a blank that isn't dry, and especially turning it thin, it will flex as you are turning. That's about the only way to get the variance in the wall thickness like your pics show. Good looking bowl though, I wouldn't worry about it.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode