Bowl Turning Problem For a Long Time - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

View Lodensam2004's Photo Album My Photos
Bowl Turning Problem For a Long Time

Bowl Turning Problem For a Long Time-photo246.jpg

I am having a problem with rough areas on my bowls. They always appear in opposite sides of the bowl, inside and out..what do i need to do to prevent this. I have tried to keep turning to remove marks..sanding until the tips of my fingers are well past the point of burnt... Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-16-2011, 04:19 PM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
Your are dealing with with the end grain of the piece. It happens to everyone. Try taking a few final cuts with freshly sharpened tools. If you do a search for John Lucas on this forum he has answered this before and gives quite a few fixes for it.

Tim
post #3 of 13 Old 10-16-2011, 04:34 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodensam2004 View Post
I have tried to keep turning to remove marks..
What tools have you tried? (meaning: bowl gouge? small scraper? big scraper? carbide easy-tool? detail gouge?)

And how do you sharpen your tools? (meaning: with a Wolverine jig? by hand/eye? finger-nail grind? grindstone? type of wheel?)

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-16-2011, 05:25 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
For my final cuts when dealing with end grain such as you describe, I take some very light shear scrapes with a 1/2" bowl gouge, sharpened of course. You come up with extemely fine angel hair type shavings if you are doing it right. You are not removing much wood at each pass, but it will get rid of the tearout.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 13 Old 10-16-2011, 05:26 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncsuss View Post
What tools have you tried? (meaning: bowl gouge? small scraper? big scraper? carbide easy-tool? detail gouge?)

And how do you sharpen your tools? (meaning: with a Wolverine jig? by hand/eye? finger-nail grind? grindstone? type of wheel?)
All tools have that problem w/ end grain and I think any sharpening technique will get your tools sharp if you know how to use it.

A new Easy Tool round tip bit is a good choice but all tools will do a good job if they're really sharp.

I've found that carbide steel tools are best for this because they take a better edge than high speed steel (but they only hold them for JUST past the point where you walk back from the sharpening system and turn the lathe back on)

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #6 of 13 Old 10-16-2011, 07:08 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty much do same what Mike Hawkins is telling you. I either push or pulling gouge scrapping or cutting very lightly and slowly. As wood gets thinner, folks have a tendency to continue cutting aggressively and up end up tool lines

Sandpaper will not get rid of torn end grain or tool marks if pressing too hard, with high lathe speed. Heat destroys sandpaper, so slow lathe down and do not press so hard. Do not move to next higher grit until see progress.

Some will recommend change bevel angle on your gouge, and may find that helpful for type of bowls you turn. Dale provides some examples:
http://www.woodturningdesign.com/askdale/14/14.shtml

I am more about tool control regardless of bevel angle. Mostly use 55 degree bevel angle think one of my other gouges runs 60 to 62 degrees. Took me few years to come by those bevel angle so not going to switch regardless of bowl shape. Know more than few turners that live and die by 40 or 45 degree bevel angles. Bottom line fine what works for you and stay with it.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 12:28 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Use a sharper tool and don't force the cut. I find raising the speed of the lathe and slowing down the feed rate of my tool helps more than anything. If you can use a tool with a cutting edge that is a sharper angle. for example my bowl gouge is about 45 to 50 degrees. I have one ground at 40 degrees and I have a spindle gouge that is ground to 35 degrees. If I have tearout and I can cut with those gouges and still rub the bevel then I use them.
sometimes you have to try other tactics. Try putting wax on the area and then making another pass or two. If that doesn't work try putting thinned lacquer over the area. Let it dry which doesn't take very long and make another pass that usually works.
If it's green wood sometimes you can stiffen the fibers by using a hair dryer. All you want to do is surface dry the area which toughens up the fibers and then they cut better.
sometimes it's just a matter of cutting in the opposite direction if you can. It will usually bring up fuzzy area in 2 more opposite corners but if your lucky those areas will be less fuzzy than the original areas.
Worse case, turn off the lathe and use a cabinet scraper before you sand. You can concentrate on just that area and clean it up. Then the sandpaper will more easily take the rest of it down.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
Another little trick is brush some oil on the offending area, any oil, cooking, BLO etc.

hughie
post #9 of 13 Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 PM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
I had this problem last week but figured it out and its now gone. It takes a drill and 80 grit sandpaper on a pad. My bowl wasn't totally dry and the streaks was just on the endgrain. Have the drill going in one direction and the lathe turning in the other direction. The lathe rpm should be on about 300-400rpm. 80 grit sanding will work it out then go through the rest of the grits. It will work.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
[I had this problem last week but figured it out and its now gone. It takes a drill and 80 grit sandpaper on a pad.

yep thats what I find with the tough ones and especially if my patience is running low.

hughie
post #11 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 AM
sawdust manufacturer

View txpaulie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
It takes a drill and 80 grit sandpaper on a pad.
This is my usual MO, also...

But be aware that you can sand unevenly this way...
Much more of an issue with thin walls.

I'm hoping that I can raise my skills enough to do it with tools!

p

...ever notice how "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" mean the same thing, unless you are at a funeral..?
post #12 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
sounds like alot of us are in that boat lol
i learned the drill/sanding trick lately and it sure helps me alot
post #13 of 13 Old 10-30-2011, 10:52 PM
treen

View treen's Photo Album My Photos
Stop Lathe ,apply any oil,let it soak for a couple of minuites then reverse the direction of the lathe ,use 60 grit sand paper. It cuts the raised grin in the end grain(oil doesthis) and you cut them off by reversing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode