bowl savers for midi lathes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
bowl savers for midi lathes

I have the Turncrafter midi lathe from PSI and I have been doing alot more bowls recently. I hate turning the inside into shavings and I like the idea of coring out the inside of the bowl and making a smaller one. Although on a Midi lathe I sort of feel that it is a waste, compared to larger lathes.

Does anyone use one of these for the smaller lathes?

Thanks

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 PM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
What kind of turnning tool do you use most when making a bowl?
I haven't turnned a bowl as of yet but will get my nerve up soon and try one.I bought a DVD by Bill Grumbine yesterday and it's great.It looks like he uses a spindle gouge with a fingernail grind for most of his bowls.I need to watch it again and learn more.
Donny
post #3 of 11 Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 PM

View Dave (PacNW)'s Photo Album My Photos
Tools for Bowl Turning.

The most common tool is a Bowl Gouge they come in sizes from 1/4" to 3/4". They are not the same as spindle gouges. I use the Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge with a fingernail grind for most of the process. I also use a variety of scrapers in the finishing process to get the best surface I can before sanding. NEVER EVER use a spindle roughing gouge when turning a bowl unless your lfe insurance is fully PAID! The shank can break and it is not pretty. Scrapers can be used for most of the turning if desired, but a Bowl Gouge remove material much faster. Unless you are coring bowls over 10 to 12 inches, the expense for the coring system is hard to justify.
Just 4 cents worth (adjusted for inflation)
Dave (PacNW)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-04-2010, 07:07 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Dave. There is a considerable learning curve to the coring tools and they are expensive. They also require a fair amount of horsepower and don't work as well for mini lathes.
Bill uses a bowl gouge for his bowls. You can use a spindle gouge but they are often ground to a sharper angle which means your bowl has to be shallower to keep the bevel rubbing. A properly ground bowl gouge will let you turn most bowls.
As Dave said, don't use a spindle roughing gouge. It's too easy to get a catch and the tang is too small to handle a catch. It will bend the tool or break it.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-04-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

That is sort of my concern too... I can only spin a 10" bowl and my face plate can only hold an 8" bowl, so I would have to master an alternative method to hold a 10" to clean up the bottom.

But even if I start with a 8x8x3 blank and core it i could maybe get a 6x6x2 blank and then a 4x4x1?

Although in a fancy wood, that would be nice...

post #6 of 11 Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Bowl saver for midi lathes

Which lathe do you have the 1/4 hp or the 1/2 hp? if you have the 1/4 they don't make a coring system that would work with it.I have the Ricon midi 1/2 hp and have cored with the McNaughton,but it had to work at it and it put a real strain on the motor.So I got the Nova 1624 with 1 1/2 hp and that is really about as low as you should be trying to core with,otherwise you will be putting to much strain on the smaller motor.

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #7 of 11 Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

i have a 1/2HP one, I couldn't imagine having a smaller one. And there is no more in the budget or the shop for a larger one...

how many cores could you get off the little lathe

post #8 of 11 Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 PM

View Keoni's Photo Album My Photos
Mcnaughton Micro Saver

I'm new to this forum. But go on to the other wood turning forums.
I have a jet 1220 w/ 3/4 hp. I use the Micro bowl saver, successfully. I take my time with it . At times it does bog down a bit when the shavings build up. So I open up the kerf a bit. and proceed slowly. Cherry and Koa are the hardest wood so far that I have tried it on.
Takes a lot of practice, Had several times I go to deep and end up with a missing bowl size . Have yet to try it for natural edge work some time soon. Hope this helps.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-07-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

just saw this lathe: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12WB.html.

14" swing, 1 HP.... that would be nice.... but about 2x what I would pay

post #10 of 11 Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
It says it's 12" not 14 but does sound interesting. I wish it would tell what kind of motor, AC or DC, not just High induction. That doesn't tell me anything. The could be rating them like Sears rates HP. My 1 1/2hp sears router won't pull as hard as my 3/4horse porter cable.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-24-2010, 06:14 PM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry, I was thinking of something else when I posted about the video with Bill, it was a 1/2" Bowl Gouge and NOT a spindle gouge.I'm waiting on my RS 1/2" Bowl Gouge to arrive tomorrow with my Talon Oneway Chuck. I hope to be turning some this week if at all possible.
Donny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode